Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a moving annual average measure that retains filtered data

Hi,

I've created a working MAA measure, calculating the MAA starting from April 2019 (split by financial periods in visuals below) up to the last financial period. The MAA uses the last 13 financial periods to calculate an average.

TWorthin_0-1626778467685.png

However, I would like my visuals to start showing the MAA from April 2020, as there is not enough data in 2019 to show a 13 period MAA, as shown above. The problem is, when I filter out the year 2019, the MAA unsurprisingly filters this out as well, and the ouput on the visual is this:

TWorthin_1-1626778603995.png

Whereas I want the MAA to start for '2020/21 - 01' as the calculated average of the previous 13 periods in 2019/20, as shown in the first screenshot.

Would moving the measure into another table without a relationship to my existing tables help at all, or something along those lines?

I appreciate any help you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Just change the filter context from Allselected() to ALL().

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Just change the filter context from Allselected() to ALL().

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , can you share your current measure.

You need to try something like this with help from date table

Calculate(Averagex(values('Date'[Month Year]), [Measure]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],MAX('Date'[Date ]),-13,MONTH))

Month on axis should come from date table 

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, this is my measure, I created a seperate table [lkp_Max_Dates] with each unique financial period, and indexed that table so that I could get the last 13 periods:

MAA PfPI Minutes = 
(
    CALCULATE (
        SUM('Table1'[Minutes]),
        FILTER(
            ALLSELECTED('lkp_Max_Dates'),
            'lkp_Max_Dates'[Index] <= MAX('lkp_Max_Dates'[Index])
            && 'lkp_Max_Dates'[Index] > MAX('lkp_Max_Dates'[Index]) - 13
        )
    )/13)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.