Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jovani

Create Line Chart from a Table with multiple Date Columns

Hello all,

I am creating a line and clustered column chart in which has multiple columns of dates that share the same object ID (Sub-Systems) in each row.

In this case we have 2 columns of dates (soon to be 4)

-Baseline (Timeline)

-Forecast (P6 Schedule)

I created a calendar table in which has a relationship to the Baseline (Timeline) as it contains the most dates.

When creating the Reports the Forecast (P6 Schedule) is not accurate as it counts a value if there is a date, but plots it in the month of Baseline (Timeline)

Example: For August there is 8 Sub-Systems, which have the date for August 2023 in the Baseline (timeline) column. But it Counts 1 for P6 (Date) although the date is not for August. 

jovani_2-1683645120605.png

jovani_3-1683645309573.png

Even though there is no dates Pre-September on the Forecast (P6 Schedule)

jovani_4-1683645407202.png

How can I make the Forecast P6 line to plot for its actual dates?

Also, is there an option in which allows me to filter out a y axis line and only focus on one? So the table can show the object ID of the line when selected. As there is no values returned when focusing on Forecast P6 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @jovani 

Based on your requirement description, it seems you want to explore if there is an option in which allows me to filter out a y axis line and only focus on one. If you are searching for this method to achieve this in the Power BI report, I suggest you to use the "Field parameter" as the method to achieve this, you can create a "Field parameter" for the Y-Axis for the line chart and place a slicer for the Y-Axis for the line chart to dynamically select the Y-Axis you want to display for the line chart and manage  to filter out a y axis line and only focus on one

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1683771845604.pngvyueyunzhmsft_3-1683771855365.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Create an inactive relationship from the Forecast column to the Date column of the Calendar Table.  Use a DAX measure pattern like this

Measure = calculate(sum(Data[Sales]),userelationship(Data[Forecast],Calendar[Date]))

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @jovani 

Based on your requirement description, it seems you want to explore if there is an option in which allows me to filter out a y axis line and only focus on one. If you are searching for this method to achieve this in the Power BI report, I suggest you to use the "Field parameter" as the method to achieve this, you can create a "Field parameter" for the Y-Axis for the line chart and place a slicer for the Y-Axis for the line chart to dynamically select the Y-Axis you want to display for the line chart and manage  to filter out a y axis line and only focus on one

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1683771845604.pngvyueyunzhmsft_3-1683771855365.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.