Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

peterpm
Frequent Visitor

Counting values of 2 columns in the same table, using a single slicer?

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a COUNTA of 2 columns in the same table, that share the same values, through a slicer option. My table has some 30 columns, 2 of them being the following:

Departures Arrivals

New York

Lisbon
LiverpoolGlasgow
MadridLisbon
FrankfurtMadrid
BostonBarcelona
LisbonMorocco
DublinNew York

... and so on, for nearly 1M rows.

The issue is: I created a lookup table with all the available names by joining both Departure and Arrivals, removing duplicates, and named the table "Cities List", and would like to use that table for a simple slicer. But I obviously cannot create 2 relationships for those 2 columns, since Departure and Arrivals are in the same table.

The ouput should be, for example, if I select "Lisbon" in the slicer I'd get 3 as a result, selecting simultaneously "Lisbon" and "New York", I'd get 5.

I've tried:

CALCULATE(COUNTA('Flight registry'[Departures]),'Flight registry'[Departures]=SELECTEDVALUE('Cities list'[Names]))
+
CALCULATE(COUNTA('Flight registry'[Departures]),'Flight registry'[Arrivals]=SELECTEDVALUE('Cities list'[Names]))

which does work but only if I select a single city. If multiple cities are selected, it returns a blank value instead of the sum of both COUNTA. If no value is selected, the default should be the full sum of all instances in both columns (14 in his example), but instead, it also returns a blank value.

Any way to accomplish this via DAX or something else entirely outside the box that I could learn from this problem, would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @peterpm 

SELECTEDVALUE returns a single value only if a single value is selected. More than that, it will return blank. So if you select more than one, you're tellinig your measure to count the cities equal to blank.

Change your measure to

Count = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTA ( 'Flight registry'[Departures] ),
    'Flight registry'[Departures] IN VALUES ( 'Cities list'[Names] )
)
    + CALCULATE (
        'Flight registry'[Arrivals] IN VALUES ( 'Cities list'[Names] )
    )

Please note that if you don't select a city, the count becomes the total number of rows x 2.

danextian_0-1688736160106.png

danextian_1-1688736181462.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @peterpm 

SELECTEDVALUE returns a single value only if a single value is selected. More than that, it will return blank. So if you select more than one, you're tellinig your measure to count the cities equal to blank.

Change your measure to

Count = 
CALCULATE (
    'Flight registry'[Departures] IN VALUES ( 'Cities list'[Names] )
)
    + CALCULATE (
        'Flight registry'[Arrivals] IN VALUES ( 'Cities list'[Names] )
    )

Please note that if you don't select a city, the count becomes the total number of rows x 2.

danextian_0-1688736160106.png

danextian_1-1688736181462.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thank you so much @danextian , you've taken quite a load off my shoulders. Got started with Power BI a couple of months ago and this particular situation has been constant in my reporting. Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.