Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KamphuisB
Frequent Visitor

Count text values in column +1 DAX formula

Dear Power BI Users,

I am a bit new to the DAX formulas. I have searched a lot on the forum but i haven't found my answer for the following question. 

I would like to create a calculated column to count the text duplicates in a specific order, that it looks to the previous rows of data of the column. See data example below:

ColumnA  ColumnB

A1
B1
C1
D1
A2
E1
F1
B2
A3
D2
G1
H1
A4

How can i create calculated column B with DAX? 

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Bas Kamphuis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @KamphuisB,

For your requirement, you’d better add a index column, and calculate the result based on the index column. I reproduce your scenario and get desired result as follows.

Click the table, right click->Edit Query. In the Power Query Editor, under Add column, click add index column highlighted in yellow. You will get the index from first rows shown in following screenshot.

1.png

Then create another calculated column using the formula below.

ColumnB = RANKX(FILTER(Test1,Test1[ColumnA]=EARLIER(Test1[ColumnA])),Test1[Index],,ASC)

2.png

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @KamphuisB,

For your requirement, you’d better add a index column, and calculate the result based on the index column. I reproduce your scenario and get desired result as follows.

Click the table, right click->Edit Query. In the Power Query Editor, under Add column, click add index column highlighted in yellow. You will get the index from first rows shown in following screenshot.

1.png

Then create another calculated column using the formula below.

ColumnB = RANKX(FILTER(Test1,Test1[ColumnA]=EARLIER(Test1[ColumnA])),Test1[Index],,ASC)

2.png

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for answering my question. it worked with a calculated column!

I have one question: Is it also possible to make the RANKX column in the query editor? Then i get an expression error RANKX not recognised.

With kind regards,

Bas Kamphuis

Hi Angelia,

I have the results that i wanted. The reason i asked the question above was that i needed a table with only the results of the RANKX =1 column. Since you can only really filter out the data inside the query editor, i made an New table with FILTER('Table','Table'[RANKX COLUMN] = 1)

With kind regards,

Bas Kamphuis

HIi @KamphuisB,

I am very glad you have resolved your issue. If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask in this forum.

Best Regards,
Aneglia

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

very simple dude.

drag your column A in  and Drag Column B too.

In column B change the default summarization to count . Thats it .

or do u want any measure , we can ctreate it .

Measure = count(column B)

Thats it, 

let me know if any help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.