Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PascalM

Count on table with filter on 2 date fields

Hi,

I have a table containing Jobs, and a table with the Tasks that should be performed during specific periods for these jobs:

JobId

Name

Job A

Job B

Job C

Job C

TaskId

StartDate

EndDate

JobId

12/15/2019

1/31/2020

2/1/2020

3/15/2020

3/1/2020

3/31/2020

4/15/2020

4/30/2020

6/1/2020

7/15/2020

Columns StartDate and EndDate are linked to a Calendar table.

I need a measure to count the number of jobs that are started and finished within a particular period (e.g. 1/1/2020 – 6/30/2020).

In SQL this would be rather straightforward:

SELECT COUNT(JobId) FROM

(
  SELECT JobId, MIN(StartDate), MAX(EndDate)
  FROM Jobs
  GROUP BY JobId
  HAVING MIN(StartDate) >= ‘20200101’ AND MAX(EndDate) <= ‘20200630’
)

As I’m new to PowerBI, I cannot find a way to create this formula I DAX.  How can I apply the date filter in the linked Calendar table (on 2 different date fields)?  Any help highly appreciated!

Pascal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PascalM , 

If you have a relationshp between those two tables, that won't give you any problem. And as you have given hardcoded value you don't need to use MIN or MAX. 

If you want to  change the date values dynamically when you apply filters create variables with SELCTEDVALUE and use in the measure where date =. 

Regards, 

Manikumar

If this helps, Appreciate your KUDOS!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
manikumar34
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@PascalM , 

In DAX also it is straight forward. Something like below

Calculate(COUNT(JobId) ,FILTER( table,MIN(table[StartDate]) >= ‘20200101’ AND MAX(table[EndDate) <= ‘20200630’)

assuming the same format for dates as you have given. 

Regards, 

Manikumar

Also, I don't think that in the formula you suggest, the MIN and MAX work as expected.  MIN and MAX should only be applied on rows for the same JobId.  I think that in your formula it looks at all JobIds.  So first I need to transform my original Task table with only 1 row per JobId, and corresponding MIN and MAX dates.  Then I need to count which of these Tasks fall within the specified date range.

@PascalM , 

If you have a relationshp between those two tables, that won't give you any problem. And as you have given hardcoded value you don't need to use MIN or MAX. 

If you want to  change the date values dynamically when you apply filters create variables with SELCTEDVALUE and use in the measure where date =. 

Regards, 

Manikumar

Hi Manikumar,

Thanks for the quick reply.  However, as my date filter needs to be applied via the Calendar table where the period is determined using a CurWeekOffset column that is being determined with data coming from another table, I cannot hardcode the dates in the formula.  What should the formula look like when the filter needs to be applied via the Calendar table?

Thanks

Pascal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.