Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

silverbullet1
Regular Visitor

Count of Distinct Values not working

Hi there,

I have the following dataset...

current.JPG

Sample APR is a calculated column which contains randomly generated numbers.

APR Group groups these. So basically 5.X = 5, 6.X = 6, etc etc.

I want to create a third calculated columns which counts the number of distinct values in the Sample APR column, desired output like the following....

desired.JPG

I naturally tried to use DISTINCTCOUNT, with the following DAX:

Num of Cases = DISTINCTCOUNT('myTable'[Sample APR])

However, when I use this, I get the enture column populated by the value of 11341 which will be the number of rows of data I have I suspect. I also tried DISTINCTCOUNT with APR Group column to see what the result was and this resulted in the entire columns being populated with the a value of 12 (incidently I noticed this number is the COUNT of the number of case statements I used to create the APR Group column).
Can anyone help me out with this please?
3 REPLIES 3
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Test = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Sample APR]),ALL(Table1), Table1[APR Group] = EARLIER(Table1[APR Group]))

Connect on LinkedIn

Thanks @tex628 

That appears to be grouping the APR Group column rather than the Sample APR one though. Been trying variations of your solution but still no luck unfortunately.

My apologies, i didnt read the initial post well enough!

Column = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1) , ALL(Table1) , Table1[Sample APR] = EARLIER(Table1[Sample APR]) , Table1[APR Group] = EARLIER(Table1[APR Group]))

Hope it works!

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.