Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tockert
Regular Visitor

Count across multiple columns

I have a table with multiple team members shirt style (Men or Women) and shirt size.  

5 different rows for each one of the above, and they are named like this.

TM#1_Shirt_Style, TM#1_Shirt Size... TM#5_Shirt_Style, TM#5_Shirt_Size

Men                            XL                   Women                   M

I need to count all of this data to summerize it down to a table with how many mens different sized shirts and the same for womens shirts.

So I end up with something like this

Style     S   M  L  XL  XXL   XXXL

Men      0    2  4   4     5       2

Women  4   3   1   1     0       0

I don't care if it totals all of that data or not.

The table is called events.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tockert ,

According to your screenshot, I create a sample to have a test. Here I suggest you to transform your table in Power Query Editor, then you can get result by creating a matrix visual.

RicoZhou_0-1648803548442.png

M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZZBLDoAgDETv0jWXEBHlt9aEsHSp3n8nHyMtXRAyvOl0QowwgYD9uc473z6fokNVh4ckIsz4QYDs8jOoIaEPhMrlwBVL2P6XwhfGNa2gUWBbsZIRgXTjOLIa8MZiMKSBgeEPLMGWFXS0oBvnPeWeBQRqIDKlFw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Team Member #2 Name" = _t, #"Team Member #2 Shirt Style" = _t, #"Team Member #2 Size" = _t, #"Team Member #3 Name" = _t, #"Team Member #3 Shirt Style" = _t, #"Team Member #3 Size" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Team Member #2 Name", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", "Attribute - Copy"),
    #"Extracted First Characters" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Duplicated Column", {{"Attribute", each Text.Start(_, 14), type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Range" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Extracted First Characters", {{"Attribute - Copy", each Text.Middle(_, 15, 100), type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Extracted Text Range", List.Distinct(#"Extracted Text Range"[#"Attribute - Copy"]), "Attribute - Copy", "Value"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Attribute", Order.Ascending}, {"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

New Table:

RicoZhou_1-1648803671737.png

Then create a matrix and get result directly.

RicoZhou_2-1648803771881.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tockert
Regular Visitor

I am currently doing it by each team like this.

tockert_1-1648731714408.png

This still requires some manual counting to know all the different sizes by gender.

Thanks

Hi @tockert ,

According to your screenshot, I create a sample to have a test. Here I suggest you to transform your table in Power Query Editor, then you can get result by creating a matrix visual.

RicoZhou_0-1648803548442.png

M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZZBLDoAgDETv0jWXEBHlt9aEsHSp3n8nHyMtXRAyvOl0QowwgYD9uc473z6fokNVh4ckIsz4QYDs8jOoIaEPhMrlwBVL2P6XwhfGNa2gUWBbsZIRgXTjOLIa8MZiMKSBgeEPLMGWFXS0oBvnPeWeBQRqIDKlFw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Team Member #2 Name" = _t, #"Team Member #2 Shirt Style" = _t, #"Team Member #2 Size" = _t, #"Team Member #3 Name" = _t, #"Team Member #3 Shirt Style" = _t, #"Team Member #3 Size" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Team Member #2 Name", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", "Attribute - Copy"),
    #"Extracted First Characters" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Duplicated Column", {{"Attribute", each Text.Start(_, 14), type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Range" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Extracted First Characters", {{"Attribute - Copy", each Text.Middle(_, 15, 100), type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Extracted Text Range", List.Distinct(#"Extracted Text Range"[#"Attribute - Copy"]), "Attribute - Copy", "Value"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Attribute", Order.Ascending}, {"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

New Table:

RicoZhou_1-1648803671737.png

Then create a matrix and get result directly.

RicoZhou_2-1648803771881.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi RicoZhou,

Do you mind advising to my query, please?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-Clustered-Column-Chart-without-counting-Blank...

Thank you!

Thanks for the help.  

This worked.  I was able to use this as a template to get it to work for all the team columns, as I have a total of 5 people per team.  

I now have one matrix with all the shirt style and size counts.  Saves us from having to manually count this up.

tockert
Regular Visitor

Here is a snip of the table from Excel that I import into Power BI.

Trying to count all of the different sized shirts by men or women.

tockert_0-1648731557146.png

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tockert , It requires some pivot and unpivot to bring in shape, Can you share a better sample in table format

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.