Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DA12345
Frequent Visitor

Count Result of a measure

I have a measure that is composed of other measures. Its form is

MeasureName = (Measure1+Measure2+Measure3)/3.

Where the three is, I want it to be dynamically determined. I want it to be the number of measures in the braces that are not equal to zero.

I've been stuck for a while. Does anyone know if this is possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for that info @DA12345  🙂

It seems your version of Excel / Power Pivot predates the table constructor syntax (with the braces).

And yes, [Value] is the column name in a single-column table created that way.

The idea with the measure is to create a table MeasureList, which has a single column containing the measure values. We then iterate over this table (with AVERAGEX) to produce the result.

We can use UNION/ROW functions (which should be available in your version of Power Pivot) to achieve the same result. I'm assuming VAR/RETURN is still valid in your version.

Does this work?

MeasureName =
VAR MeasureList =
    UNION (
        ROW ( "Value", [Measure1] ),
        ROW ( "Value", [Measure2] ),
        ROW ( "Value", [Measure3] )
    )
VAR Result =
    AVERAGEX (
        MeasureList,
        -- Convert any zeros to blank so that they are effectively ignored
        IF ( [Value] <> 0, [Value] )
    )
RETURN
    Result

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @DA12345 

You could use the AVERAGEX function here, and take advantage of the fact that it ignores blanks.

Something like this:

MeasureName =
VAR MeasureList =
    {
        [Measure1],
        [Measure2],
        [Measure3]
    }
VAR Result =
    AVERAGEX (
        MeasureList,
    )
RETURN
    Result

This measure will effectively sum the measures in MeasureList and divide by the number of nonzero measures.

Additional measures could be added to MeasureList if required.

Does this work for you?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

This measure notation does not seem to be accepted in PowerPivot where I would deploy the final solution.

Hi again,

It should work in current versions of Excel Power Pivot. It's working for me at least.

Just checking have you entered the measure similar to this screenshot?

There are some erroneous underlines, but the measure is still accepted.

OwenAuger_0-1641245815887.png

If you are working with an earlier version of Power Pivot, please post back, and we can come up with some alternative syntax.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

This is what I tried and still got an error. I'm confused as to what [Value] is. I was assuming it was a reference to a value in the measurelist?:

MV3:=VAR MeasureList ={[NetCases1WeekAgo],[NetCases2WeekAgo],[NetCases3WeekAgo],[NetCases4WeekAgo],[NetCases5WeekAgo],[NetCases6WeekAgo]}
VAR Result = AVERAGEX(MeasureList, IF([Value]<>0,[Value]))
return Result

The error I got when repeating from your screenshot is: Operator or expression '{ }' is not supported in this context.

Thanks for that info @DA12345  🙂

It seems your version of Excel / Power Pivot predates the table constructor syntax (with the braces).

And yes, [Value] is the column name in a single-column table created that way.

The idea with the measure is to create a table MeasureList, which has a single column containing the measure values. We then iterate over this table (with AVERAGEX) to produce the result.

We can use UNION/ROW functions (which should be available in your version of Power Pivot) to achieve the same result. I'm assuming VAR/RETURN is still valid in your version.

Does this work?

MeasureName =
VAR MeasureList =
    UNION (
        ROW ( "Value", [Measure1] ),
        ROW ( "Value", [Measure2] ),
        ROW ( "Value", [Measure3] )
    )
VAR Result =
    AVERAGEX (
        MeasureList,
    )
RETURN
    Result

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@DA12345 not sure what you are trying to achieve, if you are giving 3 measures in another measure, how do you want this measure list to grow dynamically?

I think it will be easier if you paste sample data with the expected output. Read this post to get your answer quickly.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.