Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

WNCPBI
Regular Visitor

Connecting to a Datamart or a Dm's Semantic Model removes DAX Query view from left selection pane

I open PBI Desktop 2.124.2028 with preview features enabled and have access to DAX Query view and others

WNCPBI_0-1708074950860.png

Then I "Get Data" from a Datamart or a Semantic Model (or a datamart) and DAX Query View & Table Views are removed and unavailable.

WNCPBI_1-1708075066754.png

Anyone else have this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi WNCPBI

When you connect to a an already published Semantic Model in Power BI Desktop, you are creating what is called a "thin report", in which you can't create new Calculations or use the DAX Query View or the View Data screen.

If you wish to edit the Semantic Model you need to open the file which was originally used to create the model, make your changes, and re-publish.

For changes to the Datamart, you need to open and edit your mart in the Power BI Service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi WNCPBI

When you connect to a an already published Semantic Model in Power BI Desktop, you are creating what is called a "thin report", in which you can't create new Calculations or use the DAX Query View or the View Data screen.

If you wish to edit the Semantic Model you need to open the file which was originally used to create the model, make your changes, and re-publish.

For changes to the Datamart, you need to open and edit your mart in the Power BI Service.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that DAX Query View could be used with a Datamart for testing as you can with DAX Studio, but it appears not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.