Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Monika
Regular Visitor

Connecting Power BI with an Azure SQL Server Database using direct query

I am currently trying to connect an Azure SQL Server Database to Power BI using direct query. 

I have put in the correct server name and I am using direct query. it is not connecting.

I have put in the correct server name and I have read access and able to connect with SQL server for the DB however it is not connecting.

any help? do i need any credential to access the sql azure database?

screenshot 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Monika,

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I just created a new Azure DB in my tenant and could connect ok.

Double check you have the correct credentials (are you using a Windows or Database username/login)

Do you know if Azure has been configured to allow your client to connect via the firewall?

Other than that. my server was something.database.windows.net rather than a microsoft.com address.  

If you'd like to pm me screenshots of the connection screens I may be able to help more.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Monika

Are you just putting Microsoft.com in the servername, or is the servername much longer?

Cheers,

Phil

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for reply Phil!!

Yes. Server name is too long. I am sure it is correct.

Its just interesting that the error is suggesting it thinks the name of the server is just Microsoft.com

Proud to be a Datanaut!

It is coming from my oragnaization id.

Hi @Monika,

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I just created a new Azure DB in my tenant and could connect ok.

Double check you have the correct credentials (are you using a Windows or Database username/login)

Do you know if Azure has been configured to allow your client to connect via the firewall?

Other than that. my server was something.database.windows.net rather than a microsoft.com address.  

If you'd like to pm me screenshots of the connection screens I may be able to help more.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.