Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Monika
Regular Visitor

Connecting Power BI with an Azure SQL Server Database using direct query

I am currently trying to connect an Azure SQL Server Database to Power BI using direct query. 

I have put in the correct server name and I am using direct query. it is not connecting.

I have put in the correct server name and I have read access and able to connect with SQL server for the DB however it is not connecting.

any help? do i need any credential to access the sql azure database?

screenshot 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Monika,

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I just created a new Azure DB in my tenant and could connect ok.

Double check you have the correct credentials (are you using a Windows or Database username/login)

Do you know if Azure has been configured to allow your client to connect via the firewall?

Other than that. my server was something.database.windows.net rather than a microsoft.com address.  

If you'd like to pm me screenshots of the connection screens I may be able to help more.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Monika

Are you just putting Microsoft.com in the servername, or is the servername much longer?

Cheers,

Phil

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for reply Phil!!

Yes. Server name is too long. I am sure it is correct.

Its just interesting that the error is suggesting it thinks the name of the server is just Microsoft.com

Proud to be a Datanaut!

It is coming from my oragnaization id.

Hi @Monika,

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I just created a new Azure DB in my tenant and could connect ok.

Double check you have the correct credentials (are you using a Windows or Database username/login)

Do you know if Azure has been configured to allow your client to connect via the firewall?

Other than that. my server was something.database.windows.net rather than a microsoft.com address.  

If you'd like to pm me screenshots of the connection screens I may be able to help more.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.