Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asarraf21
Frequent Visitor

Connect Power BI to an Azure Storage Container that is shared with me as an External User

Hi,

An Azure Blob Container has been shared with me as an external user. The administrator has assigned the STORAGE BLOB DATA OWNER role to me. 

When I login through my Azure Portal, I can see that the container is shared with me, although I cannot seem to view any data.

Also, when I try to connect to the Blob storage from Power BI Desktop, it seems that the only available authentication option is by entering Access Key, which I don't have.

I wonder if I am not doing something right here. Any help will be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 4.08.16 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From what I gathered, connecting to a blob datasource only works with access keys. However, I managed to connect to the shared container using Web.Contents and it worked just fine. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @asarraf21 

It seems you want is in Power BI for accessing Azure Table Storage with Shared Access Signatures - these can be generated via the Azure Storage APIs to limit access to certain tables (or collections/blobs in the case of Blob Storage) for a certain period of time.For further,please have a look at below article.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chmitch/2018/05/31/connecting-to-blob-storage-with-a-shared-access-...

For 3rd party Links:

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I am trying to access PDF files from Power BI, which are stored in the Azure Storage Container. This container is set to private, i.e., it cannot be access through internet. We are trying to access this Container's PDF files using Storage Access Keys (SAS). But i am not sure, how this can be achieved from Power BI. please let me know how this can be implemented.

Hi @sunilvarma02 - I was trying to do the same thing in a streamlined way. This guide will help you list the blobs in a container using a SAS and then download the contents of each blob:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/chmitch/connecting-to-blob-storage-with-a-shared-acce...

From what I gathered, connecting to a blob datasource only works with access keys. However, I managed to connect to the shared container using Web.Contents and it worked just fine. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.