Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional Formatting for Bar Charts

Hi All. I am currently banging my head trying to get what I thought was a simple conditional formatting (RAG indicator) to appear on a single bar chart. Thanks in advance if someone can point me in the right direction and if I find a solution beforehand I shall post here for the community.

Scenario and Data

I have multiple rows that represent "projects" which have columns for [Targets] both annual and monthly and also a column for [Enabled].

I am aiming to produce a bar chart that shows the total [Enabled] with the [Target] amount shown as a dashed line. This bit I have managed quite easily with a standard KPI style bullet bar chart.

The next step is to add conditional formatting based on the rule below that changes the colour of the bar depending on it's relationship with the [Target column]

Rule

2019/20 Savings RAG = if([Enabled 2019/20]>=[Savings Targets 2019/20],"Blue",if([Enabled 2019/20]>=[2019/20 Current Month Target],"Green",if(month(edate(now(),-3))<7,if([Enabled 2019/20]>=([2019/20 Current Month Target]*0.7),"Amber","Red"),"Red")))

In summary, various conditions and thresholds trigger different colours (Blue, Green, Amber, Red).

Attempts

I have attempted to split the colours up to different columns and if true return 1 and if false return 0. For example:

2019/20 RAG Blue = if([Enabled 2019/20]>=[Savings Targets 2019/20],1,0)

Best Regards,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

You could create a measure like below, essentially its your rules with colours replaced with numbers. 

coloursX = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE,
    [Enabled 2019/20] >= [Savings Targets 2019/20], 1, --Blue 
    [Enabled 2019/20] >= [2019/20 Current Month Target], 2, -- Green
    MONTH( EDATE( NOW(), -3 ) ) < 7 && [Enabled 2019/20] >= ( [2019/20 Current Month Target] * 0.7 ), 3, --Amber
    0 --Red
)

Next, in the Visualization Pane > Format > Data Colors, Click on the 3 dots and Select Conditional Formating to open the options ( as on the sreenshot below ) 
image.png

Once in the Conditional Formatting settings, just make sure you set everything  as below

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

You could create a measure like below, essentially its your rules with colours replaced with numbers. 

coloursX = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE,
    [Enabled 2019/20] >= [Savings Targets 2019/20], 1, --Blue 
    [Enabled 2019/20] >= [2019/20 Current Month Target], 2, -- Green
    MONTH( EDATE( NOW(), -3 ) ) < 7 && [Enabled 2019/20] >= ( [2019/20 Current Month Target] * 0.7 ), 3, --Amber
    0 --Red
)

Next, in the Visualization Pane > Format > Data Colors, Click on the 3 dots and Select Conditional Formating to open the options ( as on the sreenshot below ) 
image.png

Once in the Conditional Formatting settings, just make sure you set everything  as below

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Mariusz Repczynski

Anonymous
Not applicable

Much appreciated this works a charm. I added sum() to the columns within the measure and this cleared any errors I subsequently had.

Thanks again. Mark

Hi @Anonymous 

No problem, happy to help!

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz Repczynski

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.