Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional Formatting based on Previous Columns

Hi All

Conditional formatting is easy enough to understand, but I am struggling to apply it in the way I want, so need some help.

Here is my basic table.  It shows data use over a couple of months, and I want to simply highlight if that particular user has increased or decreased their use each month.

The data comes from 3 seperate data sources whcih will be added to up to a max 6 month period.

But how do i ask conditional formatting to look at the previous column, then format accordingly?!

2020-01-23_11-10-10.png
Any help most welcome.....thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

You should be able to use something similar to this:

I created a new Calcultated Column called 'Nov_Higher_Lower' in this column I return a value of -1, 0 or 1 depending on the sign of the number when I subtract Novembers value from Octobers value. 

Nov_Higher_Lower = SWITCH(SIGN('Table1 (2)'[Nov 2019(kb)]-'Table1 (2)'[Oct 2019 (kb)]), 0, 0, -1, -1, 1, 1)

I then run a Rules based conditional formatting on 'Nov 2019(kb)' based on the results of 'Nov_Higher_Lower'HigherLower.PNG

You would also do the same with another new colum for Dec_Higher_Lower .....

I'm sure there might be a cleaner way to do this, but I hope this helps.

Sduffy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion @Anonymous  - appreciate the help, but seems there is an issue reading the October data - which is on a seperate data source?

Used the following:

Nov_Higher\Lower = SWITCH(SIGN('Nov2019'[Volume (kb)]-'Oct2019'[Volume (kb)]),0,0,-1,-1,1,1)

But the result is:

A single value for column 'Volume (kb)' in table 'Oct2019' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.