Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MuthalibAbdul
Frequent Visitor

Compare two columns

Hello PBI users,

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for a few hours but did not succeed. I have a table with a list of all students that should be in my class. Another table I have has a list of the students, exam subjects, scores, date of exam etc. 

Now I have an interactive dashboard, where I select month or week or quarter and I get the list of students that were present that week or day, their scores and other details. But I need to know the list of students that were not present as well. 

The problem is one table is complete and has all unique rows with student name while other table has multiple rows for a single student (diff subjects, location, etc). Basically a 1 to many relationship.

I tried using the except function but have not been able to figure out a solution. 

Other solutions I checked online are all of static reports, I need this on a recurring basis (interactive dashboard) and based on selection, it should show me the list of names not present. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @audreygerred ,

Thanks for your quick response.

Hi @MuthalibAbdul ,

I have created a simple sample, please refer to my pbix file to see if it helps you.

Measure = IF(MAX('Table (2)'[Column2])<>"y",1,BLANK())

vrongtiepmsft_0-1716171239429.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @audreygerred ,

Thanks for your quick response.

Hi @MuthalibAbdul ,

I have created a simple sample, please refer to my pbix file to see if it helps you.

Measure = IF(MAX('Table (2)'[Column2])<>"y",1,BLANK())

vrongtiepmsft_0-1716171239429.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks so much this helped

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

When you add the names from your students table to the visual, right click on that field in the visualization pane and select 'Show items with no data'. This will make the students who don't have data appear. 

audreygerred_0-1715797642929.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.