Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aflintdepm
Helper III
Helper III

Combine similar values from 2 sources

I have 2 data sources that are from a related process.  The first source counts all open tasks and has a start date.  The second source counts all completed tasks and also has a start date, along with a finished date.  The values in each source are unique (the same task will never appear in both sources), but the first source does not have a completed date value at all.

I would like to be able to count the total number of tasks started on a given date, regardless of which source it is on.  From there, I would want to be able to filter the location the task was assigned to.

Currently, I created a measure in each source to count the number of tasks on each source and then combined them into a third measure ( i.e. measure 3 = measure 1_source_1 + measure 2_source_2)

However, the measure does not respond to my location filters.

Any advice is welcome, but I am relatively new to Power BI, so please provide step by step

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @aflintdepm 

This is somewhat related to the model you are currently building. It is recommended to create separate dimension tables for location and date.

veasonfmsft_0-1655864076993.png

You can also consider combining all the data into one table and then count the number of tasks.

Measure = COUNT(Append1[Task])

veasonfmsft_1-1655864283456.png

veasonfmsft_2-1655864494153.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aflintdepm
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you, @tackytechtom 

I found the error in my relationship that was blocking the filter.  I had established the wrong link between my source and my location table.  However, if there is a way to union the 2 sources, I would like to learn about that.  I will do some research on it. 

Thanks again.

Hi, @aflintdepm 

This is somewhat related to the model you are currently building. It is recommended to create separate dimension tables for location and date.

veasonfmsft_0-1655864076993.png

You can also consider combining all the data into one table and then count the number of tasks.

Measure = COUNT(Append1[Task])

veasonfmsft_1-1655864283456.png

veasonfmsft_2-1655864494153.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @aflintdepm ,

Where does the location attribute your are filtering upon come from? Are you using the location attribute direclty from either of the tables or do you have separate location (dimension) table? If so, are all connections in place?

Please feel free to share some sample data and / or the data model 🙂

Also, it might be worthwile to union those two tables (open + completed, if they are having the same columns. I have the feeling that is going to help you a lot for anything that you want to be doing later on.

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.