Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Jbrunson09
Frequent Visitor

Combine 2 data tables on multiple criteria

All,

I have 2 data tables. 

1. A table of employee names and the projects they are assigned along with how many hours they project to bill that project in a week.
  2. The second table to of employee names and how many hours they ACTUALLY billed to projects in the week.

What I want is to combine these tables into a single table where I can see ALL of the projects that were PROJECTED & ACTUALLY billed. I cant figure out if I need to merge as a new table and do a full outer join or something else completly. Any help would be appreicated.

Example of what this could look like (the real data would have multiple employee names).

Jbrunson09_0-1711569711900.png

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

I created some sample data and was able to get your desired result using appending queries and table grouping. 

Projected Table

jgeddes_0-1711631753329.png

Actual Table

jgeddes_1-1711631777448.png

Result

jgeddes_2-1711631801030.png

Code

let
    projectedSource = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8srPyFPSUXIEYiOlWB24gBMQGyMLOKOrcAFiU6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Employee = _t, Project = _t, #"Projected Hours" = _t]),
    changeProjectedTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(projectedSource,{{"Employee", type text}, {"Project", type text}, {"Projected Hours", Int64.Type}}),
    actualSource = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8srPyFPSUXIEYmOlWB24gAsQmyILuAGxIbKAK0RLLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Employee = _t, Project = _t, #"Actual Hours" = _t]),
    changeActualTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(actualSource,{{"Employee", type text}, {"Project", type text}, {"Actual Hours", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({changeProjectedTypes, changeActualTypes}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Appended Query", {"Employee", "Project"}, {{"Projected Hours", each List.Sum([Projected Hours]), type nullable number}, {"Actual Hours", each List.Sum([Actual Hours]), type nullable number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Appending the queries together and then grouping by Employee and Project while taking the sum of both projected and actual hours is what makes this work.

Hope this helps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

I created some sample data and was able to get your desired result using appending queries and table grouping. 

Projected Table

jgeddes_0-1711631753329.png

Actual Table

jgeddes_1-1711631777448.png

Result

jgeddes_2-1711631801030.png

Code

let
    projectedSource = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8srPyFPSUXIEYiOlWB24gBMQGyMLOKOrcAFiU6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Employee = _t, Project = _t, #"Projected Hours" = _t]),
    changeProjectedTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(projectedSource,{{"Employee", type text}, {"Project", type text}, {"Projected Hours", Int64.Type}}),
    actualSource = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8srPyFPSUXIEYmOlWB24gAsQmyILuAGxIbKAK0RLLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Employee = _t, Project = _t, #"Actual Hours" = _t]),
    changeActualTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(actualSource,{{"Employee", type text}, {"Project", type text}, {"Actual Hours", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({changeProjectedTypes, changeActualTypes}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Appended Query", {"Employee", "Project"}, {{"Projected Hours", each List.Sum([Projected Hours]), type nullable number}, {"Actual Hours", each List.Sum([Actual Hours]), type nullable number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Appending the queries together and then grouping by Employee and Project while taking the sum of both projected and actual hours is what makes this work.

Hope this helps.

I got this to work, Thank you! One thing for future users to know that was tripping me up at first was that the column names that you are trying to connect on need to be the same.

i.e The project table and actual table both need these columns to work  "Employee" and "Project"

jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You can merge the actual table into the projected table in Power Query using the Employee and Project columns as the link. You would then expand the actual hours column from the merged table.

Thanks for the help!

To clarify, I am supposed to use a full outer join for this merge, correct? When I do this, I get null values for employee and project name. I could bring in the second table columns for these names and then do a calculated column to basically say if one is blank, grab the name from the other and then remove the old columns once the new calculated one is there. But this seems like a lot of steps. is there not a way where it can fill the null values in without additional steps / calculated columns?

Jbrunson09_0-1711630745176.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.