Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kyleNN9000
Regular Visitor

Column with date only

Hi,

Goal: looking for assistance to create and write dax code for a new column with date only from an existing column that has date and time.

Scenario: I have an existing column (screenshot) that has the date and time as the value. my data is connected via directquery.

Issue: I've tried many variations of dax code and none of them allow the data to populate correctly. Such as:

- date only column = DATEVALUE(LISTEMAIL[SCHEDULEDDATE])

- date only column = DATE(YEAR(LISTEMAIL[SCHEDULEDDATE]), MONTH(LISTEMAIL[SCHEDULEDDATE]), DAY(LISTEMAIL[SCHEDULEDDATE]))

any suggestions? thanks

Capture5.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Kaviraj11
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You can try and setup as a new source.

Kaviraj11_1-1714591492055.png

Power Query Snowflake connector - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Kaviraj11
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Changing the data type of a column in Power BI while using Direct Query mode can be a bit tricky because Direct Query has some limitations. DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Are you using SQL Server as a Source?

If Yes, you can convert/cast the data type to Date in SQL Statement editor while connecting with server.

i'm not trying to change the data type of the exisiting column. i am trying to create a new column with only the date and not the time from the existing column.

Yes, I understand that. However, if you are reading it from SQL Server, you can create a new column using convert/cast to transform the datetime column to date. It will be created as a seperate column and you can utilize that column in your report.

oh i see now. okay yes, i'm connecting via snowflake. can i modify it after i already connected it or do i need to start the connection over from scratch?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.