Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column chart: space between columns when using measures

column chart.PNGHi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to add space between the columns in the 'Clustered column chart' when using only calculated measures?

It seems like unless a value is applied to the Axis value all the values gets grouped together with no spacing. In my case the values cannot get categorized using a column in the Axis and counting number of rows as a a row can be of more than one category.

I have seen some creative solutions such as adding a measure with blank and removing the measure name. But it seems like Power BI no longer allows you to have a measure without a name (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Spacing-in-column-chart/m-p/423550#M194799).

Does anyone know how I can add spacing to 'Clustered column charts'? Is there another visual that would solve this?

Best regards

Arefoss

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer to the following steps to grouping your measures and use them in the clustered column chart.

Steps:

1. Create a table with all types of measures.

Table= SELECTCOLUMNS({"a","b","c","d","e"},"Category",[Value])

2. Write a measure with switch function to use above table category to return correspond measure value.

Measure =
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Category] ),
    "a", [Measure a],
    "b", [Measure b],
    "c", [Measure c],
    "d", [Measure d],
    "e", [Measure e]
)

3. Create a clustered column chart with the above category column as axis and legend, measure as value.

6.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Your solution does solve my issue on my test set. But I am having trouble when applying it to a SSAS connection. When I try to create a Calculated table in SSDT I recieve an error message: "Could not complete the operation because the changes could not be committed to the VertiPaq engine."

Do you know of work around or how I could solve this.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Current I haven't found any methods to create a table on live connection mode. Maybe you can create a table on your database side to stored all category, then you can use its axis and category on your visual.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.