Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column chart: space between columns when using measures

column chart.PNGHi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to add space between the columns in the 'Clustered column chart' when using only calculated measures?

It seems like unless a value is applied to the Axis value all the values gets grouped together with no spacing. In my case the values cannot get categorized using a column in the Axis and counting number of rows as a a row can be of more than one category.

I have seen some creative solutions such as adding a measure with blank and removing the measure name. But it seems like Power BI no longer allows you to have a measure without a name (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Spacing-in-column-chart/m-p/423550#M194799).

Does anyone know how I can add spacing to 'Clustered column charts'? Is there another visual that would solve this?

Best regards

Arefoss

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer to the following steps to grouping your measures and use them in the clustered column chart.

Steps:

1. Create a table with all types of measures.

Table= SELECTCOLUMNS({"a","b","c","d","e"},"Category",[Value])

2. Write a measure with switch function to use above table category to return correspond measure value.

Measure =
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Category] ),
    "a", [Measure a],
    "b", [Measure b],
    "c", [Measure c],
    "d", [Measure d],
    "e", [Measure e]
)

3. Create a clustered column chart with the above category column as axis and legend, measure as value.

6.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Your solution does solve my issue on my test set. But I am having trouble when applying it to a SSAS connection. When I try to create a Calculated table in SSDT I recieve an error message: "Could not complete the operation because the changes could not be committed to the VertiPaq engine."

Do you know of work around or how I could solve this.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Current I haven't found any methods to create a table on live connection mode. Maybe you can create a table on your database side to stored all category, then you can use its axis and category on your visual.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.