Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column Name Changes Every Refresh

The excel dataset I am importing has the date and time for when the dataset was created in cell A1.  There are two blank rows below it, then in row 4 are all the column names, and then the actual data starts in row 5.  My users want the date in Cell A1 reported in my Power BI report.  

So far I have figured out to duplicate the column, replace all the data in rows 2-1000ish with a null, and then I "fill down" the column and end up with all the rows containing the time I want.  Unfortunately, I then have to Promote First Row as column names, and this is where my issue occurs.  The M code now has that date "hard coded" as the column name (4/20/2020 12:43:24 AM).  So when I went to refresh the data today the refresh threw and error because when a Changed Type applied step is run on this column, the new column header is 4/21/2020 12:33:23 AM however the olde hard coded date is still in my M code.

I am pulling the excel file from a file server and the "modified date" in the windows folder directory is not the same as the date and time I want to show in my report from cell A1. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you resolved the problem? If yes, please accept the helpful answer as solution. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I had a similar question answered on this type of error on as previous post but don't remember the address basically you can do the following before promoting headers:

• Add an index column
  • Add a calculated column with the following code:
if  [Index] = 1 then "Date" else [CustomColumn]
  • If your index starts at 0 replace the 1 and use replace the "Date" by the name you need on the column the custom column is the one that were you have hard coded the date

Now delete the other custom column and the index column do the promote headers.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Well, you have imported Excel file into Power BI and then the column name change to datetime (4/20/2020 12:43:24 AM). So the name is not same as it in Excel lead to refresh failed.  Do I understand correctly? If so, we need to rename it with the original name to make refresh successfully.

If I misunderstand,  can you please share a few screenshots?

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.