Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Imagauthamam
Helper I
Helper I

Column Level Security in Power BI

We have 100's of columns in our fact table.
We want to expose a sensitive column to only few users.
I checked online and found the below video where it is explained using OLS Using Tabular Editor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_Gu5FTUhw

Herein, I have to create a role and the users that I put in this role will not be able to see the column.
This is the main issue because we have thousands of users and only 5 people need access to this column.
It's not possible to enter each of them manually.
On the flip side, do we have any workaround like we can create a role and the users that I enter in that role should only have access to those columns?
Please check and let me know if you have any suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3

@Imagauthamam , i am mentioning about security groups in the Microsoft Admin Center. But it is not possible to restrict access other than the selected 5 users. 

As per the screenshot below when you click "display name" checkbox all the users will be selected uncheck the 5 users and create the group.  

SanthiyaMallow_0-1699748733703.png

Hi @Imagauthamam , You can use security groups where you can add all the users in a tenant at a time and after adding all the users, you can search in the directory to uncheck the users to whom you want to give access to the sensitive data. 
You can use the same security group for other dataset by creating the security group one time

Hi @SanthiyaMallow 
Thanks for the response.
Are you mentioning AD Groups?
In that case also, I believe I have to create an AD Group containing all users.
Because out of 1000 users, I have to create an AD Group for 995 people.
Instead of this,If I create an AD Group only for 5 people for which access is required, Can I use it somehow to give access to sensitive column only to these 5 people?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.