Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column Header is a Date, but the content of Column is a value - How to reflect this in a histogram

Hi Folks, 

Wondering if someone can help.  I have an export of data from Primavera P6 in excel format.

Six of the columns contain text data, and the remaining columns headers are dates with the data for each entered.  See below screen shot.

I want to create a histogram, along the bottom axis should be the date, then stacked should be the Department with the a count of all data within that date against the department.

I am struggling to create this and wondered if someone could help point me in the right direction to where I am going wrong - the issue appears to be the date column being the headers and numerical values being held within the date (for reference the data is man hours held under each date)

data.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mauriciosotero
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

In fact, the best practice is to transform theses Date columns in two: Date and Value (or a better name).

For that, firs you have to unpivot the date columns:

1) Go to query editor;

2) Select the date columns;

3) Choose the options Transform--> Unpivot Columns --> Unpivot the selected columns:

Capture2.PNG

The result will be:

Capture3.PNG

After, you have to modify the type of the new column date (in my example the "Atribute" column) to Date.

And that it! Chose and apply the changes and you will be able to do your visuals.

If this helps, I apreciate you give a kudo and mark as the solution. Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mauriciosotero
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

In fact, the best practice is to transform theses Date columns in two: Date and Value (or a better name).

For that, firs you have to unpivot the date columns:

1) Go to query editor;

2) Select the date columns;

3) Choose the options Transform--> Unpivot Columns --> Unpivot the selected columns:

Capture2.PNG

The result will be:

Capture3.PNG

After, you have to modify the type of the new column date (in my example the "Atribute" column) to Date.

And that it! Chose and apply the changes and you will be able to do your visuals.

If this helps, I apreciate you give a kudo and mark as the solution. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the event that the dates change in another dataset, this query will break. Is there a workaround for that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! it worked.

Welcome!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.