Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CJ1608
Frequent Visitor

Close and Restart Power BI Desktop

Close and Restart Power BI Desktop

This bug has been around for a few months now. I reported it with 'send a frown' (twice) but it's still persisting.

If I remember rightly it coincided with the use of 'Quick Measures' when they were first released. However I've recently found that using TREATAS({}) has triggered it too.

One of my desktop files is completely stuck in this state and I began having the same problem in another after having a break waiting for the June update (in the hope there was a fix...) as mentioned when trying to use TREATAS.

The entire model seems to become inaccessable; you can't view any of the tables (they all become empty), refreshing brings back a server connection error and you can't view any of the measure/calculated column formulas.

Even DAX Studio doesn't detect a model schema and you cannot connect this way at all.

I'm afraid the issue seems to be persisting and as I don't know what's causing it I can't avoid/work around it!

It's causing a lot of disruption to our development and management aren't entirely convinced to begin with.

Surely can't be the only person to have experienced this?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi , I am experiencing similar issues.

When we have a SSAS Tabular model as source (SQL Server 2016 SP1) and you add a quick measure in the Power BI Desktop file then then it seems to break the Tabular. I need to redeploy the Tabular model and the PBIX file cannot be open again.

This is posing a challenge as the Power users want to add their own measures as part off the Self Serviec capabilties off Power BI.

Would a Cumulative Update of SQL Server 2016 SP1 maybe fix the issue?

Kind Regards, Drickus

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@CJ1608 as a work around maybe rewrite the measures without quick measures?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I haven't used them since and still getting the issue. Even with them turned off.

As I said, even TREATAS() triggered it recently. I've had it happen for other reasons but I can't remember the exact details anymore.

@CJ1608 have you got enough memory?  need more information to understand, have you looked in the diagnostic logs?  i.e options and settings / options  / diagnostics / enable tracing

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Memory isn't the issue, I've had the system performance window open to check.

I've looked at the logs, I might as well be reading ancient greek.

When I open the file that is currently ruined and try to click on a measure in the field list this is the trace coming from 'copy details' (it seems to be the most descriptive trace covering the data model):

Error Message:
The connection is not open.

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException: The connection is not open.
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdUtils.CheckConnectionOpened(AdomdConnection connection)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, String schemaNamespace, AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions, Boolean throwOnInlineErrors, AdomdPropertyCollection requestProperties)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabase.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, Dictionary`2 restrictions)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.ServerInformation.LoadReservedWordCache(IModel model)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.EnsureServerInformation(IModel model)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.PopulateAll(IModel model, DAXMatchObjectSet& matchObjects)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXParser.BuildContextForMeasure(IModel model, IMeasure measure, Boolean restrictedDirectQuery)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.DataModelExtensions.BuildContext(IMeasure measure)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.HtmlControls.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControlAsync.UpdateFormulaBarContents()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.HtmlControls.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControlAsync.SetCalculation(ICalculationObject calculation)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.HtmlControls.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControlAsync.ShowCalculation(ICalculationObject calculation)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.HtmlControls.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControlAsync.ShowSchemaItem(SchemaItem schemaItem)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.EventAggregationService.<>c__DisplayClassb`2.<PublishInternal>b__a()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.SchemaItemActivationService.SetActiveItem(SchemaItem schemaItem, Boolean raiseEventOnChange)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SchemaItemActivationHostService.<>c__DisplayClass2.<SetActiveSchemaItem>b__1()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

@CJ1608 have you tried to log a support ticket with microsoft?  also have you updated the latest version?

Despite having a Pro Trial for 12 months I don't seem to be able to open a support ticket...

I'm running the latest version as mentioned, and the issue persists on other Machines too.

CJ1608
Frequent Visitor

Trace from error thrown when trying to access the data model e.g. trying to delete a measure.......

Error Message:
A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running.

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ConnectionException: A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:65378
   at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient..ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.GetTcpClient(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.OpenConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Boolean& isSessionTokenNeeded)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.Connect(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Boolean beginSession)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.Reconnect()
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.Server.Reconnect()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ServerUtilities.EnsureConnectionAndExecuteAction(Server server, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ExtendedModelChangeScope.<Finish>b__1c()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ExtendedModelChangeScope.Finish()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.<>c__DisplayClassd.<RunExtendedModelChangeAsync>b__c()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Exception rethrown at [1]:
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.TaskExtensions.WaitAndUnpackException(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.PerformLoadInternal(Action relationshipAutodetectStartCallback)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.PerformLoad(Action relationshipAutodetectStartCallback)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.<>c__DisplayClass1.<LoadTablesAsync>b__0(Object state)

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.FloatingDialog.ShowDialogWithTimeout(IWin32Window owner, Nullable`1 showTimeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.StartEvaluationAndShowDialog(IEnumerable`1 queriesToLoad, Nullable`1 showTimeout, Boolean requireFullDataRefresh)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.TryShowDialogForQueries(Report report, IWin32Window ownerWindow, WindowsHost windowsHost, IQueryServices queryServices, IEnumerable`1 queriesToLoad, LocalizedString title, Boolean requireFullDataRefresh)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.TryApplyQueryChanges(Report report, IWin32Window ownerWindow, IQueryServices queryServices, WindowsHost windowsHost)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.QueriesEditorWindowManager.<>c__DisplayClass6.<OnQueriesEditorWindowClosed>b__4()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

@CJ1608 and you doing this in the power bi desktop, using the latest version, on your local? on the network?  imported or live connection?

local machine installation of June update (installed on the day after released) and using ODBC imported sql queries and excel tables.

its reproducable on other machines (i.e. yesterday at my second workstation), which had the June update installed yesterday.

As i said, ive had this issue since late March early April with previous versions too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.