Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Circular dependency issue

I'm getting a circular dependency error that I can't figure out for the life of me.  To start, I have a fairly simple formula to calculate a value on a daily basis: 

(field1 + field3)/ (field1 + field2)

I want to display that as a daily value, as well as month-to-date and year-to-date. Using my actual field names, this is the formula:

prod_mwh + lost_prod_ext_mwh / prod_mwh + lost_prod_mwh

I then create measures for MTD and YTD which look like this (and maybe this is wrong and is part or all of the problem?):

oe_wo_ext_pct_mtd = DIVIDE(TOTALMTD(sum(oe_summary_report[prod_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]) + TOTALMTD(sum(oe_summary_report[lost_prod_ext_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]),TOTALMTD(sum(oe_summary_report[prod_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]) + TOTALMTD(sum(oe_summary_report[lost_prod_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]),0)

oe_wo_ext_pct_ytd = DIVIDE(TOTALYTD(sum(oe_summary_report[prod_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]) + TOTALYTD(sum(oe_summary_report[lost_prod_ext_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]),TOTALYTD(sum(oe_summary_report[prod_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]) + TOTALYTD(sum(oe_summary_report[lost_prod_mwh]),oe_summary_report[date]),0)

I then have a target % field, which isn't calculated, it's just a static field for each plant.

So far, so good, my table looks like this:
OE 1.png

Now I need to show variances between Daily, MTD, and YTD vs. the Target. I create daily and MTD columns like this:

Daily Var = oe_summary_report[oe_wo_ext_pct] - oe_summary_report[oe_target_wo_ext_pct]
Monthly Var = oe_summary_report[oe_wo_ext_pct_mtd] - oe_summary_report[oe_target_wo_ext_pct]

And this is good so far:
oe 2.png

But when I create my YTD field, I get a circular reference error:
oe 3.png

I assume I'm doing something simple and obvious wrong, but can't figure it out. This is the last thing I need to finish a major project. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Alex
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Alex,

If we delete the column [oe_wo_mtd_compare], the [YTD Var] should work. I think you should create a measure instead. Which reference isn't available? Is it below you need?

Circular-dependency-issue

It's better to create a date to work with the time intelligence functions. 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Alex,

Did you create a column instead of a measure accidentally? 

Can you share a sample? Please mask the sensitive data first. Just see from your formula, it's simple and clear. 

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft

Sorry, I forgot to include the file, which is here.

I created a column rather than measure because not all of the fields I wanted to reference were available when I tried to use a measure - that must be part of the problem. I spent some time this weekend learning DAX a little more deeply to see if I can get to the bottom of this, and suspect that the problem is that when I compare my MTD or YTD fields to the target value, the target value isn't an aggregate, it's just a static field on every row of data. So with MTD and YTD being aggregates, I'm thinking Power BI may not be able to find a specific row to get the target from. I'm going to try applying an average to that field and see if that might work.

If you do have time to take a look and can offer any other insight, it's much appreciated!

thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

If we delete the column [oe_wo_mtd_compare], the [YTD Var] should work. I think you should create a measure instead. Which reference isn't available? Is it below you need?

Circular-dependency-issue

It's better to create a date to work with the time intelligence functions. 

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft thanks for your help. I was able to get it all working! Once I studied up on DAX I realized I was trying to compare DAX measures to static fields, which of course caused problems, due to no current row, etc. 

Finally done, woo-hoo!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pozzyal,

Can you tell me what you did exactly to tackle the circular dependency error as I am facing the same issue while creating YTD values for my table.

Any response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks ,

Preetinder

Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case my YTD and MTD measures worked fine, but I then needed to compare them to another target column to determine the variance. But the other column wasn't a measure. So since my YTD and MTD fields were aggregates, they didn't have a single row to compare to in my target. Does that make sense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.