Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Choose Dimension Column For Fact table Records instead of Dimension in Filter tab of the report

Hi Team,

I have 2 tables, Fact and Dimension. In Fact ( Id,Sales) there are 3 records , In dimension(Id,Status) i have 5 records. There is one to one relationship between Id and whenever i take Id in the Filter tab it shows all the statuses which are not there in Fact.

ShubhamK_0-1606874177172.png

I dont want Running to be appear in Filter panel.

Could you please help me on this ?

Thanks,

Shubham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Please change the relation to 1 to Many from Dimension to Fact and Try

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Please change the relation to 1 to Many from Dimension to Fact and Try

edhans
Super User
Super User

A few things @Anonymous 

1. Don't use a 1:1 relationship. That is just two tables split in two. Merge them in Power Query, or create a 1:Many from your DIM to your FACT table.
  2. Relationships are not joins. So if you have Open, Closed, and Running in your FACT table but only Open and Closed in your DIM table, Power BI will show you the Running record. If you want that excluded from the model, you need to do that in Power Query. Filter Relationships do not exclude data based on the relationship like Joins in a database can.
  3. If you have Open, Closed, and Running in your DIM table but not your FACT table, Running will appear in the filter panel if you use the field from your DIM table - as you should. Again, if you don't want it, filter it out in Power Query to truly exclude the data from the model.

If you need further help, please post some actual data or a link to the PBIX file (with data embedded in Power Query, not with links to outside sources - use the "Enter Data" feature for this) so we can assist. Links on providing data below.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.