Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shinu1
Helper II
Helper II

Change sort order based on measure selection

Hi,

I am not sure how to change the sort order based  a measure selection. 

I have a matrix table showing measure based on the selection from a slicer. My problem is with the sorting order based on selection.

Example :

Slicer                       Matrix Table

ER                            Accounts    Total

CM                           a                 100

TC                            b                   40

TR                            c                   90

When I select "ER" or  "TR" from slicer, i want the table to sort the measure in Descending order and on "CM" and "TC" selection, the sorting order should change to Ascending order

Please advise how can i achieve it.

Thanks

Shinu

9 REPLIES 9
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Shinu1 

Try below, I don't know your table names, "tbl_Processed_Rawdata" you can try "ALL" in below dax, basically we want to clear the slicer selection while calculating the rank, ranks should be based on all the KPIs, so adjust below measures or provide me the snapshot of sample data, hope this makes sense.

Rank Measure =

VAR selected =
SELECTEDVALUE ( tbl_KPI[KPI] )
VAR rankER = RANKX(All(tbl_Processed_Rawdata),[ExternalRevenue],,DESC)
VAR rankCM = RANKX(All(tbl_Processed_Rawdata),[Contribution Margin],,ASC)
VAR rankTC = RANKX(All(tbl_Processed_Rawdata),[Total Cost],,ASC)
VAR rankTR = RANKX(All(tbl_Processed_Rawdata),[Total Revenue],,DESC)
RETURN
SWITCH ( selected, "ER", rankER, "CM", rankCM, "TC", rankTC, "TR", rankTR )

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Shinu1 I'm afraid that you can change the sort order based on the selection. What is the use case that you need to change the sort order, maybe there is another solution.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Different measures are looked with different perspective.

Example: The Cost line items are all in negative and hence the highest negative amount needs to pulled at the top in matrix table and viceversa for Reveue/Profit.

Hope I'm clear

Thanks

Shinu

@Shinu1 I didn't see any negative value in your sample dataset and that's why it was not clear. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@Shinu1 only solution I can think of is to create calculated table and use sorting option.

Based on Slicer selection, different measures populate data in the table. One measure might populate positive amount and the other measure might populate negative value. I'm using Switch formula to check slicer selection and then show the respective measures data.

Switch formula:

mKPI = SWITCH(ALLSELECTED(tbl_KPI[KPI]),"ER",[ExternalRevenue],"TR",[Total Revenue],"TC",[Total Cost],"CM",[Contribution Margin],0)

Below are two of the measures used in above Switch statement measure

ExternalRevenue= CALCULATE(SUM(tbl_Processed_Rawdata[External Revenue]))

Total Cost = CALCULATE(SUM(tbl_Processed_Rawdata[Total Cost]))

I need to sort External Revenue in Descending order(Largest to smallest) and Total Cost in Ascending order (Smallest to lowest)

I 'm not sure how to fit in sort parameter in Calculatedtable to see the output in matrix table. If you could give me a small example to fit in the sort parameter, i can give a try to it.

Thanks

Shinu

Hi @Shinu1,

Currently, you can't directly use a slicer to affect with matrix fields sort order. For indirect methods, I'd like to suggest you write a measure with multiple ranking expressions, then you can nested them with if statement condition with slicer selections. 

After you add this field into your visual and setup sort by measure value, it can dynamic changes based on slicer selections.

Rank Measure =
VAR selected =
VAR rankER = 'rank formula based on value and its sort order type'
VAR rankCM = 'rank formula based on value and its sort order type'
VAR rankTC = 'rank formula based on value and its sort order type'
VAR rankTR = 'rank formula based on value and its sort order type'
RETURN

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I tried as you instructed. Below is the screenshot fo the same. The matrix table now has two columns for each header in Columns section  and the rank measure is ranking everything as 1.

rank1.jpg

Below is the Rank Measure:

Rank Measure =
VAR selected =
VAR rankER = RANKX(tbl_Processed_Rawdata,[ExternalRevenue],,DESC)
VAR rankCM = RANKX(tbl_Processed_Rawdata,[Contribution Margin],,ASC)
VAR rankTC = RANKX(tbl_Processed_Rawdata,[Total Cost],,ASC)
VAR rankTR = RANKX(tbl_Processed_Rawdata,[Total Revenue],,DESC)
RETURN

Please advise what needs to be corrected.

Thanks
Shinu

Hi,

let me know if anyone has any solution for the same.

Thanks

Shinu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.