Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MisterT
Regular Visitor

Change Value titles in a visualisation

So I'm new to this and I'm starting to get some sensible data being displayed in column charts.  However, while a data field name may make sense when it is used to display the actual field data, it often makes no sense at all when applying a calculation.  For example, I am displaying a graph showing the number of emails recevied from different email addresses as well as the number of attachments contained in those emails.  So my two value titles are:

Count of EmailfromAddress

Count of AttachmentName

Both of which are cryptic at best.  They should be titled:

# Emails Received

# Attachments Received

Surely you can re-name these?  There's no way I want to create additional fields with a different title for every possible visualisation I may want! 

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@MisterT

Unlike Reporting Services, Power BI Desktop only takes the dataset field name, it's not supported to edit the header column name within visuals. Currently, you can only modify the dataset field name or create "dummy" fields. However, it seems you have non-numeric fields in your scenario, so you still can't avoid diplaying "Count of XX" in visuals. Please vote this idea for same feature request.

Regards,

mbdtz
Advocate III
Advocate III

As far as I'm aware, the best way/only to do this is to rename the columns/measures in the data itself

Bearing in mind that this also makes it easier for people who do not have a DB/reporting background to self service on the report if they know exactly which fields are where

a nice blog post on aliasing here: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2012/01/12/aliasing-columns-in-dax/

🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.