Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thatguyadam

Card date format does not match data model

Hi All,

BI newbie with what I hope is a simple question, which is: why doesn't the date formatting in the below Card match that of the data model?

BI Desktop > Regional Settings > Locale for import =  English (United Kingdom)

Data Model

SQL live connection, the column in question is directly queried and has a Data Format in BID as Date. As shown in the results this returns using the regional format of DD/MM/YYYY

thatguyadam_1-1652620176887.png

thatguyadam_0-1652620148279.png

Report (Card)

A Card using this field has the Data Label is showing the long date for some reason, as below:

thatguyadam_2-1652620281524.png

The Card is set to show the very latest date from the column, just through its settings not using DAX or anything clever. I have renamed the category for the sake of the report so to be clear Baseline Finish == baselinefinishdate

I can't seem to find any independent date-style formatting options for the Card itself, and presumed it simply took that of the model. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? The desire is for the Card to display a DD/MM/YYYY format.

I have run a few tests to ensure the 'date is a date' and not any kind of string and have access to the transformations that only work on dates, so happy with that.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@thatguyadam "data format" is controlled separately from "data type".  What you show in the first screenshot is the data type.

To adjust the data format, select the column in Power BI, and from the "Column tools" section on the ribbon, click on the "Format" dropdown, and select your desired format

ebeery_0-1652628469425.png

ebeery_1-1652628487161.png

ebeery_2-1652628523672.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@thatguyadam "data format" is controlled separately from "data type".  What you show in the first screenshot is the data type.

To adjust the data format, select the column in Power BI, and from the "Column tools" section on the ribbon, click on the "Format" dropdown, and select your desired format

ebeery_0-1652628469425.png

ebeery_1-1652628487161.png

ebeery_2-1652628523672.png

Thank you @ebeery that done the trick. Didn't even occur to me to select the field itself from the Fields pane, once I did the steps you described done exactly what I needed. 

thatguyadam

May or may-not matter, but if I set to date-time I do get a dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm format

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.