Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Cannot find string with slicer

Hello,

I have a table visual and and a slicer where I filter a stocknumber. The stocknumber is alpha numeric, and Im not sure if the problem lies within that it has spaces in it. These stocknumbers look like this:

Stocknumber
rtf 54 hgd 665
hs74g dge   hhh d
55 66 gdgdfg gg 

Now I don't really know how the slicer search engine actually works, but even if I sometimes copy that number from that very table visual as a countercheck and put it into the slicer "search" field,  it cannot find these rows in that tablevisual with that stocknumber. 

Its also doesn't work from time to time when I put it in by hand. 

How can I solve this?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Best. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Applicable88,

I create a sample according to the data you provide.

vkalyjmsft_0-1643094581037.png

When put the column in a table visual, it renders the middle space as a single space.

vkalyjmsft_1-1643094614914.png

In a slicer, it also renders a single space, but if you manually enter a single space, it will not be filtered out.

vkalyjmsft_3-1643095262778.png

If you copy the data source and paste in the search bar, it appears.

vkalyjmsft_2-1643095144794.png

So, not the data changed in the search bar, but the data render differently in visual.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Applicable88,

I create a sample according to the data you provide.

vkalyjmsft_0-1643094581037.png

When put the column in a table visual, it renders the middle space as a single space.

vkalyjmsft_1-1643094614914.png

In a slicer, it also renders a single space, but if you manually enter a single space, it will not be filtered out.

vkalyjmsft_3-1643095262778.png

If you copy the data source and paste in the search bar, it appears.

vkalyjmsft_2-1643095144794.png

So, not the data changed in the search bar, but the data render differently in visual.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thank you @amitchandak, that tool is working pretty well. Unfortunately it has no preview of similar results. 

I also tried to find the underlying issue why the original search slicer doesn't work and run some test.

For example the stockmaterial is like "R35GG LL" . I copy that text string from that table visual to the input of the slicer and then it becomes: "R35GG                     LL" . Where do the spaces suddenly come from?  

And even when I delete all the spaces it or just put in "R35" it won't find that stocknumber. Everything is formatted as string datatype. 

I hope that can be fixed. 

I found the pattern why it happens, but not how to solve it:

I have two tables. The first one is the facttable, where stocknumber is not distinct:

Stocknumber 
11 ff gg 
12 ffzz
1234          ll
TTZZ55556

and table 2, a dimension table which has a 1: N - relation ship to table 1:

Stocknumber2Category

1234          ll 16

Apparently I can only find Stocknumbers which are also in table 2. But the slicer is definetely filtering for column "Stocknumber" and not "Stochnumber2" from the second table.  It still doesn't explain why copy a text string from the table value like "R35GG LL" becomes like "R35GG                     LL" in the input field of the slicer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.