Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot convert my numbers from text to decimal datatype

Hello

I have a csv file that contains numbers in Swiss format like 6'500.20 or 22.50 or 9'600.66.

When I try to change the type from text to decimal in the querry editor I get only errors.

The windows and power bi region settings are set to switzerland and should be correct, excel etc. is working fine with the numbers.

Spoiler

Error

Region settings in windows:

Region-Format

Region settings for the imported file in Power BI:

Region-Format-Power-BIFile

Any idea what the issue could be?

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I test to use optional parameter culture 'de-ch' but it still not works for ' characters.
Maybe you can try to add a custom column to remove thousand separator and convert remained text to number:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Number.FromText(Text.Remove([G Number],"'")))

5.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft 

Thanks for your suggestions I will try if this works.

But is this a bug? I mean Excel and all other applications work fine with this number format. And PowerBI should be supporting the default offical swiss format for numbers right? And even if not supported specifaclly it should  be able to format the numbers based on the culture settings of windows (which are correct and match the number format)? Or am I wrong?

HI @Anonymous ,

If your system region and symbol has setting to swiss and these separator still not works, it may be a localization issue for swiss characters, you can contact to power query team to report this.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.