Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newyorker
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot add a text column to the tooltips field

Hi folks,

I am working with a simple standard pie chart. I am trying to add a column to the "Tooltips" field but it just won't work.

To the left, is how it works on all other models. But this specific model I am working on (to the right), it just won't let me add the same column. I've checked the column settings in Visual Studios and it is identical. I've also checked the Power BI desktop reporting settings and it is also identical.

The one on the right is simply a copy of the model on the left so I can't imagine anything could be different, but could there possibly be something that I am missing that could cause this issue. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

newyorker_0-1593144010084.png newyorker_0-1593144730283.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@newyorker Old thread, but do your models use calculation groups?  If so, that's the cause of your issue. Calculation groups force "implicit measures" to be turned off throughout the entire model. Tooltips with column values (as opposed to measures) are Implicit Measures. 

You could just create a measure for what you need to do in your tooltip, using a function like FIRST()

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
karma123
Helper II
Helper II

Did this get resolved? I am having the same issue to

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @newyorker ,

What version are you using? I have tried it with June version and everything is working properly, I have added the same column on details and on tooltips, I even test adding the on all the fields and add no issue.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi Miguel,

It's 2.82.5858.961 and it works for me with any other data models / dataset I work with, but just not with this specific model I am working with at the moment. Hence, why I asked if there is a configuration in the data model I am potentially missing that's preventing me from achieving me this.

Hi @newyorker ,

Can be not really sure, depends on your setup. What type of model are you using? How is it setup?

Can you share a sample file?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @newyorker ,

What kind of data source are you using?Which connection mode do you use?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi @Anonymous ,

Our data models are all on Azure, I am connected live to this Power BI dataset. This condition is the same across all reports, where tooltips work and don't work.

@newyorker Old thread, but do your models use calculation groups?  If so, that's the cause of your issue. Calculation groups force "implicit measures" to be turned off throughout the entire model. Tooltips with column values (as opposed to measures) are Implicit Measures. 

You could just create a measure for what you need to do in your tooltip, using a function like FIRST()

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.