Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomerbi
Frequent Visitor

Cancelled API and historic data in power query

Hi,

First of all, I'm currently receiving data through URLs provided from one of the general contractor via the APIs. Now we are cancelling the contract with them and chnaging to another contractor instead. My question is that after the cancellation, of course we won't be able to retrieve the data from them anymore via their provided APIs but what will happen to the exisiting data that have been retrieved in the power query? Will I lose these data? What are the possibilities to manage/export or keep these data in any other format i.e. excel or table from power query?

Thank you in advanced. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @tomerbi ,

the data in Power bi will be reachable, because it is imported to power bi but you can't refresh the data or receive new data or do transformation in power query.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Hello @tomerbi ,

you won't be able in power query to connect with the table related to the canceled kpis., it won't interact and it will give an error in it.

Hello @tomerbi ,

yes, you could do that, this way you can do merge to it since it's now reading from excel.

5 REPLIES 5
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @tomerbi ,

the data in Power bi will be reachable, because it is imported to power bi but you can't refresh the data or receive new data or do transformation in power query.

Hi @Idrissshatila 

Many thanks for your response. 

Is there any possbilities that I can export this in an excel format firstly beforehand? 

As you mentioned that I won't be able to do the transformation in power query once it stops, will it still be possible to merge these data with the other APIs which I will be receiving from a new general contractor? And is there any chance to merge two tables i.e. the data is stored by date from top to bottom and merge the old/cancelled API data with the new one for instance. 

Hello @tomerbi ,

you won't be able in power query to connect with the table related to the canceled kpis., it won't interact and it will give an error in it.

Hi @Idrissshatila 

Thanks a lot for your reply, I truly appreciate it. One more question though. It sounds like I won't be able to do anything to the cancelled API tables not even to merge into a new one. What can I do with that, like exporting into excel and import it again to make it function or do you have any suggestions/solutions? 

Hello @tomerbi ,

yes, you could do that, this way you can do merge to it since it's now reading from excel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.