Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Can we hide column in table visual ?

Hi all,

As subjected, can I have, while a rank column is added in the table, but I want it to be hidden? reason is this column is a measure which "act" as row order. There is not much space, and not really matter to show it, but it did very important I want other column (field) still show, but the ordering will need to be based on that rank measure.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @admin_xlsior,

You can shorten the wide of the column until you don see it anymore, be aware that you may need to turn off word wrap:

Hide_Column.gif

This works for table visualizations and matrix.

Be aware that hiding this column if the users click on another column the table will be order by that selection, then they need to reset the to default to see it again by the order of that measure.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you rank values are in a calculated column, you could use that column as the Sort By Column for the column you want to show.  If it is a measure, I don't think you can sort my a measure that isn't in the visual.  However, you could add it, put it at the end (out of scroll window) and/or play with the font/background colors and/or column widths to hide it.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WojciechPolak

This question is quite old, but in 2023 you can avoid turning off word wrap for column headers by giving column that you want to make invisible one letter long name. It's important to track if the word wrap for values is not necessary though.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you rank values are in a calculated column, you could use that column as the Sort By Column for the column you want to show.  If it is a measure, I don't think you can sort my a measure that isn't in the visual.  However, you could add it, put it at the end (out of scroll window) and/or play with the font/background colors and/or column widths to hide it.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @admin_xlsior,

You can shorten the wide of the column until you don see it anymore, be aware that you may need to turn off word wrap:

Hide_Column.gif

This works for table visualizations and matrix.

Be aware that hiding this column if the users click on another column the table will be order by that selection, then they need to reset the to default to see it again by the order of that measure.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did this for a count column that I had. For whatever reason, I couldn't get my report to show all assets regardless of cost even if I set cost as >=0 without adding a count of assets. However, I don't want to show that count. Thankfully, I found this post. I didn't turn off word wrap. I simply titled the column "1", squeezed it down, and moved it to be the last column. I only moved it because when I viewed the report in the app, I noticed that if your mouse just barely hovers the dividing line between the first (hidden) and second columns, it gave the user the ability to increase the size of the hidden column. Most people aren't likely to hover a mouse past the last column so it's a little safer there. I really wish Microsoft would give us this as an ability to hide columns neatly rather than this "hack" approach. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Love it!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.