Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smccafferty
Frequent Visitor

Can drill through work with a merged column?

I'm trying to set up a drill through, and the "drill through" option (on a right click on the source page) simply doesn't appear.

I'm wondering if the issue is the column I'm trying to use.

I have some table data displayed on Page 1. I would like to drill through to Page 2, but based on multiple values from the Page 1 table. As I understand it, this is not possible - you can only drill through based on one value.

I created a merged column in the table that populates Page 1. Year-CustomerNumber-Unit (combines the three values, seperated with "-"). The table on Page 2 contains different data, but it does contain all three of those same columns. I created a merged column on that table too.

The two tables are related on this compound key I created (Many-To-Many rship). Cross filter direction is set to single (Table 1 filters Table 2). 

I have added that key as a Drill through field on the page with table 2. Inspecting the two tables visually, I can confirm that the data between the two matches (i.e. exact values in table 1 exist in table 2).

Am I missing something? Is the issue that my work around for not being able to drill on multiple fields doesn't actually work?

3 REPLIES 3
smccafferty
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak 

Thank you for your reply - but I did realize what I'm doing wrong. Wasn't a problem with the key values - it's that the data was from two different sources (even though I created a relationship, that doesn't allow for drill through).

I changed it so that the data displayed on Page 1 uses filtered data from the same data source as Page 2. It all works now.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@smccafferty , even when you concatenate the table will it reduce the number of rows, because you will still drill for one row only?

@amitchandak

No. In both tables, I have values in a key column that look like this: "2022-788968-35"

Both table 1 and table 2 can have many rows with the same value.

When I added the key value to table 2's page as a drill through filter, I expected that on table 1 I'd be able to click drill through on the same key value - and see the filtered results. 

When I click on table 1, drill through does not appear as an option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.