Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a value from another table be retrieved if it is contained in the current table with M query?

I have two tables and need to retreive an ID from Table2 if its value is contained in a column in Table1. This is an example of Table1:

Description

Snickers Bar

Beverage

Gift Card

Here is an example from Table2

ID       Indicator

1         Snickers

2         Gift Card

3         Bar

I need to use M query in the Query Editor to say "IF Table1[Desc] contains Table2[Indicator] then retrieve Table2[ID]"

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may check below formula.Attached sample file for your reference.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCs7LTM5OLSpWcEosUorViVZySi1LLUpMTwVz3DPTShScE4tSlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Description = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Description", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom.1", each (let currentDescription = [Description] in Table.SelectRows(Table2, each Text.Contains (currentDescription,[Indicator] ))){0}[ID]),
    #"Replaced Errors" = Table.ReplaceErrorValues(#"Added Custom1", {{"Custom.1", null}})
in
    #"Replaced Errors"

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You can use Fuzzy Lookup (April 2019 release of PowerBI desktop).  In the first screenshot, there an additional option that is not visible i.e. Number of records - set that to 1.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You can use Fuzzy Lookup (April 2019 release of PowerBI desktop).  In the first screenshot, there an additional option that is not visible i.e. Number of records - set that to 1.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may check below formula.Attached sample file for your reference.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCs7LTM5OLSpWcEosUorViVZySi1LLUpMTwVz3DPTShScE4tSlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Description = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Description", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom.1", each (let currentDescription = [Description] in Table.SelectRows(Table2, each Text.Contains (currentDescription,[Indicator] ))){0}[ID]),
    #"Replaced Errors" = Table.ReplaceErrorValues(#"Added Custom1", {{"Custom.1", null}})
in
    #"Replaced Errors"

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-cherch-msft, this is great. Really works well. Is there a way I could have all of the matching IDs that are returned concatenated into a single string separated by a semicolon, as in "1;2;3;5"

Currently, I am only getting one row for matching IDs based on sort order like a VLOOKUP.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.