Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GulianiG
Helper II
Helper II

Can Text Keys affect Performance?

Hi Experts, 
I came across conflicting information about storing keys for relationship as Text vs Whole Number
I benefit from having it as Text data type because it helps be debug errors easily as the key 

is made up of 2 columns (ID & Date)
But I am reluctant to make it such as this will be used in a heavy model so Performance has to be optimal but the trade off of easy debugging also cannot be ignored because the length of ID in key varies above and hence inserting a perid (.) helps separate ID & Date visually

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @GulianiG 

I am not sure about data modeling performance but that kind of key will definitely lead to a longer refresh time which may be negligible depending on the data size. Why longer? Because that will cause a higher cardinality and will take a longer time to write  into memory as opposed to having two separate dimensions for ID and Date. Also, a higher cardinality requires more storage. That is why it also a best practice to split a datetime column into date and time columns or just remove the time component if not needed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @GulianiG 

I am not sure about data modeling performance but that kind of key will definitely lead to a longer refresh time which may be negligible depending on the data size. Why longer? Because that will cause a higher cardinality and will take a longer time to write  into memory as opposed to having two separate dimensions for ID and Date. Also, a higher cardinality requires more storage. That is why it also a best practice to split a datetime column into date and time columns or just remove the time component if not needed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.