Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Shackleton
Frequent Visitor

Can ISFILTERED ignore Page-Level filters?

I've created a slicer panel that contains several slicers. Because this slicer panel can be expanded or minimized, when minimized I want to let users know if one or more filter has been applied. I've been able to get this to work to a degree using ISFILTERED:

Filter Trigger Text =
IF(
ISFILTERED(table_1[users]) || ISFILTERED(table_2[region]),
"Filters have been applied", ""
)  

The first slicer filters table_1[users]. A page-level filter also uses this column to remove some data from the page. This results in ISFILTERED returning true regardless of whether or not the slicer for table_1[users] has been applied.

Is there a way to ignore a page level filter within my DAX above but still return true if the slicer has been filtered? One potential solution is to duplicate the column [users] in table_1 and use one column for the page level filter and the second column for the slicer, but it would be much better if I could use DAX to do this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shackleton ,

According to your description, here's my workaroud.

Smple:

vkalyjmsft_0-1664184320101.png

In the page-level filter, I unchecked the value "FFF", so there're five values in the users slicer.

vkalyjmsft_1-1664184355475.png

Create a measure.

Measure =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( table_1[users] ) ) < 5,
    "Filters have been applied"
)

Get the result:

vkalyjmsft_2-1664184572992.png

vkalyjmsft_3-1664184598440.png

In the formula, if you don't want to count the number "5" manually, you can first don't select value in slicer then use a measure COUNT([users]) to get the number.

vkalyjmsft_4-1664184750025.png

I attach my sample below for your reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shackleton ,

According to your description, here's my workaroud.

Smple:

vkalyjmsft_0-1664184320101.png

In the page-level filter, I unchecked the value "FFF", so there're five values in the users slicer.

vkalyjmsft_1-1664184355475.png

Create a measure.

Measure =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( table_1[users] ) ) < 5,
    "Filters have been applied"
)

Get the result:

vkalyjmsft_2-1664184572992.png

vkalyjmsft_3-1664184598440.png

In the formula, if you don't want to count the number "5" manually, you can first don't select value in slicer then use a measure COUNT([users]) to get the number.

vkalyjmsft_4-1664184750025.png

I attach my sample below for your reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This helps, thanks. Within your explanation, we know if the filter is or not applied excluding page level filter. But if I don't want to write down "Filter have been applied" and want to write down which context filter i made? Is that possible? Cz i tried your way and it does not work =(

Thanks very much for this. I think this is a good workaround. Depending on some of the data sets it will be easier to just duplicate some columns as mentiond in my question and suggested by @parry2k below, but having this workaround is a nice option as well. Thanks to you both!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Shackleton I think creating a duplicate column will make life easier otherwise you have to do some DAX trickery to get this done. 

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks, but DAX trickery is what I'm after. We have dozens of dashboards that we will ultimately update with this new collapsable slicer window, and that's a lot of extra columns we'd need to add as a workaround.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.