Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calendar Table only in Months

Hi, 

I'm pretty new to building things using DAX, so am struggling with some programming syntax...

I've built a table to recognise months, quarters and years for our financial year.  It would work perfectly except I can't use the Periods (which Accounting use as their unit for allocating transactions to time) as a Key field as it's not unique.  I though the easy answer would be to simply create a table which runs months instead of a daily calendar, however I'm struggling to make that work.  

Here's what works for the table:

AccountingCALENDAR =
VAR BASECALENDAR =
CALENDAR ( DATE ( 2018, 8, 1 ), now()+365 )
RETURN
GENERATE (
BASECALENDAR,
VAR BASEDATE = [DATE]
VAR YEARDATE = YEAR ( BASEDATE )
VAR WEEKNO = if( WEEKNUM( basedate,2) <31, WEEKNUM( basedate,2)+21, weeknum (basedate,2) - 30)
var WEEKDY = WEEKDAY(basedate,2)
VAR MONTHNUMBER = format ( if(MONTH ( BASEDATE ) <8, MONTH ( BASEDATE ) +4, MONTH ( BASEDATE ) -7), "00")
VAR MONTHNAME = FORMAT ( BASEDATE, "MMMM" )
VAR QUARTER = if( or( month (BASEDATE) = 8, or(month (BASEDATE) = 9, month (BASEDATE) = 10)), "Q1", if(or( month (BASEDATE) = 11, or( month (BASEDATE) = 12, month (BASEDATE) = 1)), "Q2", if( or ( month (BASEDATE) = 2,or( month (BASEDATE) = 3, month (BASEDATE) = 4)), "Q3","Q4")))
VAR YEARMONTHNAME = FORMAT ( BASEDATE, "MMM YY" )
VAR FYEAR = if(MONTH ( BASEDATE ) <8,YEAR (BASEDATE)-1, YEAR(BASEDATE))
VAR ACCOUNTYEAR = IF (YEARDATE = FYEAR,right ( YEARDATE , 2) &"/"& right (YEARDATE+1, 2), right (YEARDATE-1,2) &"/"& right (YEARDATE ,2) )
RETURN ROW (
"F MONTH", MONTHNUMBER,
"F Qtr", FYEAR & QUARTER,
"MONTH", MONTHNAME,
"PERIOD", FYEAR & MONTHNUMBER,
"ACCOUNTING YEAR",ACCOUNTYEAR,
"YEAR MONTH", YEARMONTHNAME
)
)

However, if I do anything with the BaseCalendar after 'Generate' the whole thing throws errors.   Is there a simple fix to this that gives me single months rather than this:
table.JPG

Any help much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

To get distinct Period, create a new table

Table 2 = SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Period],'Table'[Financial Year],'Table'[Financial quarter],'Table'[Financial month],'Table'[Month Year(Actual)])

Capture9.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

To get distinct Period, create a new table

Table 2 = SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Period],'Table'[Financial Year],'Table'[Financial quarter],'Table'[Financial month],'Table'[Month Year(Actual)])

Capture9.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie,

You're a star!! Thanks for that.  I'd been trying to use a second table but was doing it all wrong.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks amiitchandek,  I had read through that and couldn't get that to make the difference to my coding.  I'm not sure whether I'm not doing it right or whether three's a different solution but that didn't give me the required end result.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

After some effort and thought.  I can get the linked example to work, however as soon as I try to shift to meet a financial year it all goes somewhat wrong.  The columns I need are:

Period - This is linked to our financial year and in the format 201901 (year month) I need this to be unique values

Financial Quarter - Year and Quarter (19Q1)

Month - Name

Accounting Year - split years 18/19

Month Year - month followed by the calendar year (Aug 19)

Our financial year is 1 August to 31 July and I have successfully built a table that built that but I can't link by the right factor.  Unfortunately our Finance Department use Period to determine where costs are placed and the transaction dates can be misleading.  I am never going to get that changing so much report differently. 

Hi @Anonymous 

The "Period", eg 201901, is it 2019/1 for the real date or for your financial year and month?

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie,

Financial Year and month, so 201901 would be August 2019.

Hi @Anonymous 

Create a calendar table

Table = CALENDAR(DATE(2017,8,1),DATE(2020,7,31))

Create calculated columns

Financial Year = IF(MONTH([actual Date])>=8,YEAR([actual Date]),YEAR([actual Date])-1)

newmonth order = IF(MONTH([actual Date])<=7,MONTH([actual Date])+12,MONTH([actual Date]))

Financial month = RANKX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Financial Year]=EARLIER('Table'[Financial Year])),[newmonth order],,ASC,Dense)

Period = var t=IF(LEN([Financial month])=1,"0"&[Financial month],[Financial month]) return [Financial Year]&t

Financial quarter = var quarter1=IF([Financial month]<=3,"Q1",IF([Financial month]<=6,"Q2",IF([Financial month]<=9,"Q3","Q4"))) RETURN [Financial Year]&quarter1

Month Year(Actual) = FORMAT([actual Date],"Mmm YY")
Capture8.JPG
Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I had a search and saw 2 posts that looked like they could have helped but didn't solve this one...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.