Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Nanjita
Frequent Visitor

Calculating variance per location

Hi, I'm fairly new to Power BI and DAX. I would very much appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

I have a database with accidents and incidents, the location where they happened, the month they happened and the reference. I’m trying to calculate the variance in the same way as I do in excel. In excel the grand total is the number of times a location is counted in the data in the current month. A separate tab counts the location listed in the previous month. Variance is then calculated by subtracting the previous month from the current month.

In PowerBI the location is counted by counting the reference (string value) per location. I’ve tried to make measures for the count per location in the current month and the previous month and another measure for the difference (variance). Unfortunately it takes the total and shows that for every location.

I’ve made the following measures:

Count_reference = COUNT('Data'[Reference])

current month = CALCULATE ([Count_reference], FILTER (ALL ('Data'), 'Data'[Event Month]= DATE (YEAR (TODAY ()), MONTH (TODAY ())-2, 1)))

previous month = CALCULATE ([Count_reference], FILTER (ALL ('Data'), 'Data'[Event Month]= DATE (YEAR (TODAY ()), MONTH (TODAY ())-3, 1)))

monthly variance = [current month]-[previous month]

Is there a way to calculate the variance per location in this specific set of circumstances?

Please find the excel file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/o6928pmqfqahcc1lthc3z/Accidents-and-Incidents-Dummy.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=6...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Nanjita 

pls see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Nanjita 

which sheet do you want to recreate in PBI?

The sheet called "Month Sub Type by Service", specifically column N the Variance prev month

Nanjita
Frequent Visitor

The variance is found in the excel file in the tab called "Month Sub Type by Service" column N.

@Nanjita 

pls see the attachment below

Amazing, thank you so much!

you are welcome

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.