Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Calculating average including blanks

Hello, I have read through the other messages but can't get this figured out. I have a DimAte table with Week in Year measure and an invoiced fact table with a measure for cases and also a column for cases.

I am calcuating the weekly average but couldn't figure out why most worked and a few didn't. I finally fount out that the formula is not adding the blanks into the calculation. I need to cout all the weeks of sales, including blanks and return the average over the number of weeks sleected. In the below example this is 5 weeks (36-40). Item A average should be 51.2 but my formula is returning 256.

One other key is I filter this report on the last 10 calendar weeks and control click 1 week, 3 weeks, 5 weeks etc to filter the data in the report.

pbi help.JPG

Thanks 

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Ok, so what I ended up doing is creating a sales = calculate(sum(Dollar Sales)) and another one is number of weeks =distinctcount(dimdate[week in year]) and then divide (sales,number of weeks) to the the correct average then I filter on the page for number os specific weeks (Last 4 weeks, last 10 weeks etc).

Thanks for giving me the idea to create the seperate measures and then divide them.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This is my formula currently

Invoiced Cases Average =
AVERAGEX(VALUES(DimDate[Week in Year] ), [Invoiced Cases] )

You'd need to do it in two stages.

1. SUM as I indicated.

2. Then you'd use SUM Measure/# of weeks (or days).

Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try adding 0 to your measure.

Ex:

Measure = Calculate(SUM(Table[Column]),FILTER())+0

Then use that SUM measure result in your Average calculation.

jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Chihiro I'm getting an error w/your formula

formula error.JPG

... What I gave is formula construct 😉

You will need to supply appropriate arguments.

If you need more specific help, it would help if you can upload sample model.
jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Ok, so what I ended up doing is creating a sales = calculate(sum(Dollar Sales)) and another one is number of weeks =distinctcount(dimdate[week in year]) and then divide (sales,number of weeks) to the the correct average then I filter on the page for number os specific weeks (Last 4 weeks, last 10 weeks etc).

Thanks for giving me the idea to create the seperate measures and then divide them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.