Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating YOY Change Dynamic Date Ranges - Different End Dates

Hello - 

In a table [Dates], I have a list of products with different modification dates.

I have the live date, live date - 1 year, and live date + 1 year.

plopper_n0k_0-1626721093376.png

I have used these dates in calculations from another table [Products] to calculate the unit sales associated with the year before the mod, a year after the mod, and % change (calculations below).

units1yearprior =
VAR prod = MAX(Products[ProdDesc])
VAR dateprior = CALCULATE(MIN('Dates'[LIVE DATE -1]), FILTER('Dates', 'Dates'[Product] = prod))
VAR dateend = CALCULATE(MAX('Dates'[LIVE DATE]), FILTER('Dates', 'Dates'[Product] = prod))
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(Products[Unit Sales Total]), FILTER(Products, Products[Date] >= dateprior &&Products[Date] <= dateend && Products[ProdDesc]=prod ))

units1yearafter =
VAR dateprior = CALCULATE(MIN('Dates'[LIVE DATE]), FILTER('Dates', 'Dates'[Product] = prod))
VAR dateend = CALCULATE(MAX('Dates'[LIVE DATE +1]), FILTER('Dates', 'Dates'[Product] = prod))
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM(Products[Unit Sales Total]), FILTER(Products, Products[Date] >= dateprior &&Products[Date] <= dateend && Products[ProdDesc]=prod ))

Units ∆ = ([units1yearafter]-[units1yearprior])/[units1yearprior]

The issue is (if you take Product A as an example) - we will have a full years worth of data for 4/2020-4/2021 but not a full year for 4/2021-4/2022 (as it has not occurred yet).  I want to be able to get an accurate read of the unit sales change since the modification and would like to compare just the months that have occurred thus far for each product (i.e. for Product A: 4/2020-6/2020 vs 4/2021-6/2021)

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Team -

I spent the good portion of the last day working through various solutions but, figured it out (DAX below):

PY Unit Sales (Same Period) =
VAR dateprior = CALCULATE(MIN('Dates'[LIVE DATE -1]), FILTER('Dates', 'Dates'[Product] = prod)
VAR enddate= CALCULATE(IF(DATEADD(LASTDATE(Product[Date]),-1,YEAR)<MAX('Dates'[LIVE DATE]),DATEADD(LASTDATE(Product[Date]),-1,YEAR),MAX('Dates'[LIVE DATE])),FILTER(Product,Product[ProdDesc]=prod))
RETURN
CALCULATE(
[Unit Sales],DATESBETWEEN(Product[Date],dateprior,enddate))

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Team -

I spent the good portion of the last day working through various solutions but, figured it out (DAX below):

PY Unit Sales (Same Period) =
VAR dateprior = CALCULATE(MIN('Dates'[LIVE DATE -1]), FILTER('Dates', 'Dates'[Product] = prod)
VAR enddate= CALCULATE(IF(DATEADD(LASTDATE(Product[Date]),-1,YEAR)<MAX('Dates'[LIVE DATE]),DATEADD(LASTDATE(Product[Date]),-1,YEAR),MAX('Dates'[LIVE DATE])),FILTER(Product,Product[ProdDesc]=prod))
RETURN
CALCULATE(
[Unit Sales],DATESBETWEEN(Product[Date],dateprior,enddate))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.