Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jbres
Frequent Visitor

Calculating HR Retention Rates

Hello, I am trying to calculate my company's retention rate and haven't found a previous post yet that is calculated in the way I need to. I need to find the number of employees who began a time period and the number of those employees who were still active at the end of a time period. I have a data table with a hire and termination date, as well as a date table with an active relationship between the hire date and the date table and an inactive relationship between the termination date and date table. I am hoping to see this calculation by Quarter and End of Year views. 

HR Analytics - Active Employee, Hire and Terminati... - Page 2 - Microsoft Power BI Community I have gone through this blog but believe the % change is a different calculation then what I am looking for but if there is a way to repurpose that to suite my needs let me know. 

2 REPLIES 2
Dhacd
Resolver III
Resolver III

Good Day @jbres 

I have assumed the following as the raw data,

Dhacd_0-1655262980713.png

Quarter year(Calculated column) = 

Quarter Year = "Q"&QUARTER('Table'[Hire date])&" "&YEAR('Table'[Hire date])

In the same way, I have calculated the Master calendar

Dhacd_1-1655263054049.png

You need not have to add the relationship between the master calendar and raw data.

Add a slicer to the visualization pane and use the newly created Quarter column as the slicer value.

Create a measure and use the below formula.

Retention rate = 
Var newjoiners = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),'Table'[Quarter Year]=SELECTEDVALUE('maste Calendar'[Quarter Year]))
Var Tenured = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),'Table'[Quarter Year]<SELECTEDVALUE('maste Calendar'[Quarter Year]))

Var result =DIVIDE(newjoiners,Tenured,blank())
Return result

add the measure to a KPI Card.

I hope this will work as you intended.

If this is the solution please mark this reply as a solution.

Regards,
Atma.

jbres
Frequent Visitor

Hello, sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for a couple of weeks. I created the columns and measure you provided but it doesn't generate any data, even when I add the quarter year column as a filter. 

jbres_0-1656097699870.png

jbres_1-1656097711090.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.