Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CraigSchulz
Helper II
Helper II

Calculated Measure Needs Different Denominator for One of 24 Accounts

I have the following measure that calculates the average number of cars parked by noon on the same day of the week as the current day of the week. On a Friday, for any given account it will give me the average number for Fridays since the beginning of the year.

AvgParkedByNoon = CALCULATE(
DIVIDE(SUM(SMSYTD[ParkedByNoon]),DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Date])),
'Calendar'[IsHoliday]=FALSE(),
FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Day of Week] = [DoWtoday]))

This is working well, but one of the accounts is fairly new and still growing, so it doesn't make sense to look all the way to the beginning of the year for the denominator because there was no data early in the year. In fact I would like to only use the relevant days in July of this year for this particular account, say for AccountID 130.

Can anyone help me with the code to do this?

- Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Craig,

It should work if the relationship between the two tables is Both filter direction. As we can see from the snapshot below, the Measure 2 returns the weeks. 

Calculated_Measure_Needs_Different_Denominator_for_One_of_24_Accounts

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Craig,

You can upload your file to the cloud drive like OneDrive, GoogleDrive then share the download link here.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable sharing the dataset and this is for a client project and I am not sure they would authorize sharing information about the company on a public forum. Thanks for offering your help, but I guess I'll have to figure it out on my own.

- Craig

@CraigSchulz,

Any data works, even if it's fabricated. We just need to see the structure and expected result.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M2HOFq43UB7qduMqZw_EcBnQK_wecrN-/view?usp=sharing

Above is a link to a sample data file. In Power BI this file is linked to my calendar table. File shows several accounts and all the cars parked at those accounts by date, and whether the cars were parked by noon. I have another file that shows cars parked by noon today. I want a visual that compares, by account, cars parked by noon today to average cars parked by noon YTD for the same day of the week. One of the accounts, "New Tower", is new, so average cars parked YTD would be bogus since it didn't start operating until June. For that particular account I would like the denominator of the average calculation to use only dates for the month of July 2018, not the full year. For the rest of the accounts dates for the full year are fine. How can I accomplish this?

- Craig

Hi Craig,

It should work if the relationship between the two tables is Both filter direction. As we can see from the snapshot below, the Measure 2 returns the weeks. 

Calculated_Measure_Needs_Different_Denominator_for_One_of_24_Accounts

Best Regards,

Dale

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Could you share a dataset and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Not sure how to share a dataset on this platform.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.