Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Column vs Measure Performance in SQL Imported Source

Hi everybody,

I'm currently wondering which of the following ways would be more efficient cause I have a very large dataset and want to be as effective as possible.

I have the following data structure (example)0:

Name_Of_ProductColorStatusCategory
AGreenUsedHifi
BGreenNewCar
CBlueUsedCar

Now I want to have a visual that shows count of all unique (color,status,category) products.

523 Green Used Hifi Products

245 Green New Car Products

I can accomblish this in two ways:

1: Calculated Column

I can create a concatenated string of the columns and use this string as legend for my visual, works fine, is easy but seems quite resource intensive for me

2: Measures

I can create a measure for every combination possible (in my case thats not more then 12) and use each measure as value. For me this seems to be more efficient, it will not work if I dont know the combinations before but in this case I know them. Another problem might be that cross filter will not work when I use the measures afaik.

What do you think is the better way?

We talk about 7.5 Million datasets (per year actually, but starting with one first..)

Thankys

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power Bi is not an appropriate tool for data processing. Improving the performance of calculation formulas may not be effective for such a largedata set.
Maybe you can try to learn about modeling with SSAS, using powerbi as a visualization tool.
Or use incremental refresh in power bi.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Please note is it a trade-off most of time, what I understand. As the column gets calculated after data load, so load time will increase. if there is a complex calculation it will increase measure time.  Try to avoid Sumx, Minx etc in Mesure unless most needed.

Refer

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.