Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate opening balance and last month and YTD total

Hi, 

I am building a dashboard and want to visually display my data to show: 

1. The total number of requests received for the month,

2. The change (increase or decrease in %) in the total requests received from last month's total, 

3. How many received in the last month are still open - this will be the opening balance for the current month.

Request IDReceived DateActual Completion DateReceived MonthStatus
1011/08/202028/08/2020AugCompleted
1022/08/202011/08/2020AugCompleted
10305/08/2020 AugIn Progress
10412/08/202023/08/2020AugCompleted
10519/08/2020 AugIn progress
10622/08/202002/09/2020AugCompleted
10703/09/202014/09/2020SeptCompleted
10805/09/2020 SeptIn progress
10910/09/202016/09/2020SeptCompleted

Say, if I am creating the report as of Sept end, then I require the following details: 

1. Total Requests for Aug   = 6

2. Total Requests for Sept  = 3

3. Variance/decrease in requests = 3 

4. Opening balance for Sept = 3 (including request 106 which was in progress on 31st Aug). 

I did try using the time intelligence functions, but it is not working. 

The measure created to calculate the previous month total 

Prev MTD Req = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TestWorkFlow), PREVIOUSMONTH('TestWorkFlow'[ActualCompletionDate].[Month]))

However, I got the following error message : 

MdxScript(Model) (6, 72) Calculation error in measure 'TestWorkFlow'[Prev MTD Req]: A column specified in the call to function 'PREVIOUSMONTH' is not of type DATE. This is not supported.

How can I display the above 4 details I require?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may create a calendar table first of all, then create relationship with your fact table TestWorkFlow[Received Date] on the date field  .

Calendar= CALEANDARAUTO()

Then you may create measures like DAX below.

Curr MTD Req= CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TestWorkFlow),DATESMTD(Calendar[Date]))

Prev MTD Req=  CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TestWorkFlow),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(DATEADD(Calendar[Date],-12,MONTH))))

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may create a calendar table first of all, then create relationship with your fact table TestWorkFlow[Received Date] on the date field  .

Calendar= CALEANDARAUTO()

Then you may create measures like DAX below.

Curr MTD Req= CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TestWorkFlow),DATESMTD(Calendar[Date]))

Prev MTD Req=  CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TestWorkFlow),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(DATEADD(Calendar[Date],-12,MONTH))))

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous, do you have a date table in your data model? If not, it's highly recommended to add one. This will facilitate time intelligence calculations.

The function PREVIOUSMONTH requires a date column (your formula uses the month).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am quite new to Power BI and trying to figure my way. I do not have a date table in my data model. 

Can I get the desired results (last month balance etc.) without using time intelligence functions? 

ActualCompletionDate is a date column and what I am trying to do is: count the number of records where the 'completion date' is from the previous month. 

@Anonymous, here's a link that explains how to create a date table. A date table is extremely useful, and without it you will have difficulty doing certain calculations.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/ 

Once you create a date table and join it to your data table, this is how your measure will look:

Prev MTD Req =
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( TestWorkFlow ), PREVIOUSMONTH ( 'Date'[Date] ) )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.