Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate employee turnover

Hello,

I have a employee table like this : 

Employee_code l Start_date l End_Date l Actif (Yes or no ) 

I want to calculate the Annual turnover which is this formula : 

Annual turnover = [(Number of employees that left  + Number of arrivals N)/2] / Number of employees at january first  

The issue that i see is, we can't have a measure that calculate number of employees during a dynamic period that can be controlled by a filter, i don't know if i expressed my self correctly,

what's the closest solution that we can have ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

Take a look at the attached file.  I think the measure will return what you are looking for.

Turnover = 
VAR FirstOfYear = STARTOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR LastOfYear = ENDOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR JanFirstHC = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(employees), FILTER ( employees, employees[start_date] <= FirstOfYear && ( employees[end_date] > FirstOfYear || ISBLANK(employees[end_date]) ) ) )
VAR NewHires = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[start_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[start_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR Leavers = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[end_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[end_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR AnnualTurnover = ((Leavers + NewHires)/2) / JanFirstHC
RETURN 
FORMAT(AnnualTurnover,"PERCENT")

I put each variable from above into it's own mesure just so you could see what it is calculating.

turnover.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

Take a look at the attached file.  I think the measure will return what you are looking for.

Turnover = 
VAR FirstOfYear = STARTOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR LastOfYear = ENDOFYEAR ( Dates[Date] )
VAR JanFirstHC = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS(employees), FILTER ( employees, employees[start_date] <= FirstOfYear && ( employees[end_date] > FirstOfYear || ISBLANK(employees[end_date]) ) ) )
VAR NewHires = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[start_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[start_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR Leavers = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( employees), employees[end_date] >= FirstOfYear && employees[end_date] <= LastOfYear )
VAR AnnualTurnover = ((Leavers + NewHires)/2) / JanFirstHC
RETURN 
FORMAT(AnnualTurnover,"PERCENT")

I put each variable from above into it's own mesure just so you could see what it is calculating.

turnover.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is also a little issue with the turnover calculations : it's supposed to be new hires + Leavers but since Leavers is negative its calculation is wrong, i think in the formula we should write -Leavers instead of +leavers so the - can turn into a +

@Anonymous 

Yeah, I wasn't sure which way you wanted those to sum, sounds like you got it the way you need now.  You only need to add the one big measure.   I just added the others so you could see the numbers.  They might be useful to have though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, i just want to add for the other users that will see the post, to have the correct turnover formula to work in a double axis as a  percentage, Leave it at "Return AnnuelTurnover" without the "percentage" format then go to model  and change the format to percentage, you also need to delete the - in the leavers formula

I updated the leavers portion of my measure in the original post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @jdbuchanan71 it worked perfectly,

however there is only one issue, when i added the 6 measures and saved closed the report, i coulnd't open it this morning, it says file corrupted impossible to open, luckily i have it published online, i will repeat all the steps and try again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.