Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bdehning
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Calculate Percentage

I have a column called "Claim Status"   Rows are either "Open" or "Closed"   

Each row has values of "Total Outstanding" in dollars and "Total Paid" in dollars.  

I want to calculate the % paid for Open for a Field in Power BI when the rows are "Open"  So for sample below, just get the $12,964.98  Divided by $25,179.03 for 49%

Claim StatusTotal Gross IncurredTotal Outstanding Reserve
Closed$759.05$0.00
Closed$14103.64$0.00
Open$25179.03$12964.98
Closed$466.30$0.00
Closed$0.00$0.00
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

This should be a straightforward DIVISION operation.

What is the NUMERATOR? [My Numerator] = CALCULATE ( SUM ( [Total Outstanding Reserve]), [Claim Status] = "Open")

Similarly, the DENOMINATOR: [My Denominator] = CALCULATE ( SUM ( [Total Gross Incurred]), [Claim Status] = "Open")

And finally: [My Percentage] = DIVIDE ( [My Numerator], [My Denoiminator], 0 )

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

bdehning
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Yes, that work perfectly after I entered in correct Syntax and did the Divide.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bdehning
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Yes, that work perfectly after I entered in correct Syntax and did the Divide.  

bdehning
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

When tyring to create Numerator Measure, I can not see or select Claim Status as it is a Text Field?

Can you show us how the three elements are related? Maybe throw in a screen shot of the relationships? The fact that you cannot 'see' [Claim Status] in the measure calculation has nothing to do with it being a text data type and has everything to do with the design of the model, the relationhsips, cardinality, cross filter directions, etc.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

This should be a straightforward DIVISION operation.

What is the NUMERATOR? [My Numerator] = CALCULATE ( SUM ( [Total Outstanding Reserve]), [Claim Status] = "Open")

Similarly, the DENOMINATOR: [My Denominator] = CALCULATE ( SUM ( [Total Gross Incurred]), [Claim Status] = "Open")

And finally: [My Percentage] = DIVIDE ( [My Numerator], [My Denoiminator], 0 )

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@bdehning 

If you need to create a column in the table, add the following column:

% Open =
IF (
    TableName[Claim Status	] = "Open",
    DIVIDE (
        TableName[Total Outstanding Reserve,],
        TableName[Total Gross Incurred]
    )
)
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.