Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tviz21

COUNT and PERCENT over specific ROW

I am having a hard time figuring out how to do a simple % over a specific row in a Matrix - thought it would just be a simple calculation but apparently it's not that easy?

I have a matrix with 3 rows -

Category

Comment1

Comment2

Value is 

COUNT of 'Type'

I just want to show COUNT of 'Type' as a % of only the 'Comment1' Row total - how can I do that one? I could not find any examples of this unless I'm searching incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for any help with this, new to Power BI

Toni

5 REPLIES 5

The Matrix is just the visualisation.  The DAX formula will depend on the table structure in the data model.

So, assuming you have a table called 'Data' with a column called [Type], you could write these 2 DAX Measures

Line Count = countrows(Data[Type])

% of Comment 1 = divide([Line Count],calculate([line Count],data[type]="Comment 1"))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tviz21 - Perhaps a Measure such as:

Measure = CALCULATE(VAR Denominator = COUNTX(ALL(types),[Type])
VAR Numerator = COUNT([Type])
RETURN Numerator/Denominator)

Make sure to format as %.

@tviz21 - For clarity, my table is called "types" and I have a single column in that table called "Type". I put the following data in it:

Type

My matrix shows:

Type      Measure

1            20%

2            40%

3            40%

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

After playing around with this for a while, I ended up with -

Percent = CALCULATE(VAR Denominator = COUNTROWS(ALL('type'[Types])) VAR Numerator = COUNTA('type'[Types]) RETURN Numerator/Denominator
)

This gave me an overall percentage which I can filter for the different dimensions I have on my dashboard.

Thanks to both of you for your help! I'll definitely spend more time with both solutions to understand them better as I'm sure I'll need them later.

Toni

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

No need for CALCULATE() or variables in that measure. It should be identical to the much cleaner:

Percent =
COUNTA( 'type'[Types] ) / COUNTROWS( ALL( 'type'[Types] ) )

CALCULATE() is only used to modify filter context or transform row context to filter context. Since this is a measure, there is already filter context coming in from the report and the visual's labels, and there is no row context in a measure, except within an iterator function.

The variables are likewise superfluous, because there is no alternate context in which you reference them. If a variable is defined in the same context as it is referenced in, then it's exactly the same as just using the variable definition in-line.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.