Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JMWDBA
Advocate II
Advocate II

CASE Statement to DAX

So I have the below:

CASE

WHEN [Academic Career] = Undergraduate THEN [CGPA UG]

WHEN [Academic Career] = Masters THEN [CGPA GR]

ELSE 'No CGPA'

END

How do I change this into DAX for Power BI?  Is such an approach possible in DAX?  [Academic Career], [CGPA UG], and [CGPA GR] are columns. I want to create a new column that grabs the value from each of those two columns based on the case statement. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I was in a hurry and didn't close my parentheses.

MeasureorColumn= SWITCH(
	Table[Academic Career],
	"Undergraduate",FORMAT(Table[CGPA UG], "General Number"),
	"Masters", FORMAT(Table[CGPA GR], "General Number"),
	"No CGPA"
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

So if I understand you correctly, you have 2 columns for different levels of CGPA undergrad and grad, and you want to merge them into one column that shows what was in CGPA UG if they're an undergrad and CGPA GR if they're a grad student. Is that correct?

CGPAMerged = SWITCH(
	TableName[Academic Career],
	"Undergraduate", TableName[CGPA UG],
	"Master's", TableName[CGPA GR],
	BLANK()
)

This would give you a single column that would merge the 2 based on the student's level in column AB in your sample data. The last argument returns blank if their career is anything other than undergraduate or master's. Then a simple measure like

Avg CGPA = AVERAGE(TableName[CGPAMerged])

...would give you the average per plan if you placed it on a chart along with column AC.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't know of any reason for that. The new CGPAMerged column you created is on the same table as Academic Plan, just like in the sample data, right? And the measure is an average of that new column?

39 REPLIES 39

Yes, thats correct. I rechecked all of the slicers and they affect all other visuals presented in the dashboard.  I don't see anything special that would stop it from also impacting the Card. 

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't know of any reason for that. The new CGPAMerged column you created is on the same table as Academic Plan, just like in the sample data, right? And the measure is an average of that new column?

Yes, thats correct. I am only working from one table.  Possibly a bug in Power BI?

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't think so. There's something we're missing here. Have you run through that new column to make sure that it has the correct values?

Just did a quick scan through and it grab the CGPA from the correct column to add to the new column.  Its formatted as a Decimal Number. None of the cells are blank. 

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

It has to be visual interactions then, somehow. Can I see a screenshot of them?

Sure see below.  When I change to a table and put the academic plans on the rows and the AVG CGPA on the Column it does show the Average CGPA by program. 

2017-06-01_10-17-18.jpg

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

What if you just change the card to a table visual and don't put anything else on it? Just leave everything else alone. Does the slicer change it then?

Correct, I just changed to a table and didn't do anything.  I also tried Matrix.  It seems that anything we do concerning the MergedCGPA column and the Average of that don't change with everything else in the dashboard based on the Slicer selection. 

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

There has to be something else about this data model that I can't see that's causing this. At this point I don't know what else to suggest without seeing the actual pbix file myself.

this was just an awesome post than you for sharing bpcreditcardmybpcreditcard.com

A slicer of [Academic Year] does change the number.  But how do I make sure that I am getting an average of distinct student CGPA.  Even though their name appears multiple times the CGPA value stays the same since its a year end CGPA. 

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try changing your measure to

Avg CGPA = AVERAGEX(
	VALUES(TableName[Student ID]),
	AVERAGE(TableName[CGPAMerge])
)

I still don't understand what's causing it to behave that way though. That slicer should work fine with that measure even if there's no year selected. Look, here's your sample data in a quick file I put together using the regular average formula. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9BEw2M_e_jvT2I0TWxKRTZpdjA

I have a card with the Avg CGPA measure and an Academic Plan slicer. They interact exactly as expected. Can you look at this and tell me what's different between my file and yours?

Ok so I just deleted all the slicers and recreated them and now its work. Smiley Indifferent

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Smiley Frustrated

I am going through line-by-line and comparing to your setup.  Hoping that I would find something different to put an end to this nightmare but so far I have found nothing different.  The only thing is I have 270,000 lines but the format is the same as the sample file I gave you just with some students appearing 3 or 4 times per academic year.  

Not certain if this would have any impact but since its a registration report for the students each row represents a registration so if a student has 4 registrations for that academic year then they would have 4 rows showing the same information just different information in the course column.  

FERPA Law stands in front of me and completion!  I will keep playing with it to see if I can find anything that stands out.  The column is grabbing the correct number.  They are all formatted the same as decimals with 2 digits after the decimal. If a person has 0 in both columns CGPA UG and GR it is pulling a 0 over into the new column.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.